Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2011, 07:13 PM

Default What a lucky day! (North Store report & more)

I finally finished up my work week, which meant I could drive up to the North Store this morning. I've been looking for a Krag, and I was glad to see the reports from this week that there were some decent Krags in the Store. I checked all of the rifles in the racks and brought this one home:

It looked complete, and the bore looks at least decent - I think it'll clean up well. For the price, I was very happy to bring it home.

I wasn't planning on picking up an M1917, but when I saw this one, I couldn't resist:

It's an Eddystone field grade in a very handsome Winchester stock. When I saw Elmer Keith's cartouche, I knew I couldn't go home without it.

The staff processed my purchases quickly, so I only had a few minutes to browse the rest of the stock. There sure is a variety out right now! The 1917s and the various .22 rifles seemed to be drawing most of the attention.

I was hoping to find an 03-A3 with a bad stock to bring home, as I have a sweet, tiger-striped scant stock just waiting for a new barrelled action. As it turns out, I needn't have worried about missing out - I got home and was preparing to do some chores when the phone rang. It was the nice young lady at my local gun shop, who said someone was there looking to sell a 1903 Springfield, and would I be interested in buying it? Of course, I ran for the car. (continued with pics next post)
Old 10-08-2011, 07:20 PM

Did it head space?

Also it's purdy I ordered a service grade 17 but I know the odds sugest I'm getting a field (my second choice) but I'd like a shootable rifle
Old 10-08-2011, 07:20 PM

This is the rifle the guy wanted to sell:

I was amazed to see a Smith Corona 03-A3 in a gorgeous tiger-striped Bishop sporter stock. The rifle is missing the original furniture, but is otherwise complete and unaltered - no extra holes and the original sights are still present. I can drop it right in my scant stock!

I'm not generally that lucky, but it sure was a good time for Fortune to smile on me.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
Did it head space?
Yes, all of the M1917s in the Store had tags indicating "good" or "OK" or "no" headspace, which made it easy to pick one out.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radionicist View Post
Yes, all of the M1917s in the Store had tags indicating "good" or "OK" or "no" headspace, which made it easy to pick one out.
Thanks!
Old 10-08-2011, 08:02 PM

Congratulations! You did have good luck today. Did you also buy a lottery ticket?
Old 10-08-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cav_cdr View Post
Congratulations! You did have good luck today. Did you also buy a lottery ticket?
No, I figured I had used up my luck for one day.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:36 PM

funny we should both pick up a Smith sporter today, I got this one at a local garage sale, flathead

Old 10-08-2011, 08:51 PM

Found one 1917 with a great bore - a very late Remington receiver with a 3-19 Winchester barrel. I couldn't pass it up. Also picked up a Remington 513T .22 with a stock striped from buttplate to tip of fore-end. Hats off to Jim behind the counter who helped with the selection.

I bought one of the drill 1917s - the stock and parts were worth more than the $100 price tag. The barrel and receiver were welded together, and the bolt face is welded. Looking at the barrel plug, it LOOKS like it is not welded in place. I tried to drive it out with a 1/4" rod and hammer (curious - not planning to shoot) but the plug would not budge. Oh well, got a great stock and parts.

I came prepared with a cleaning rod and that paid off. After running a patch down the bore of many 1917s, there were a few that looked like they would clean up with a bronze brush and some solvent. If you go to pick out a 1917, take a rod and brush - you'll be glad you did.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:03 AM

Wow Radionicist, sounds like you did GREAT! Could you post a few close ups of the Krag? They all look sweet though! Good hunting!