Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > NM Collector CMP Edition Software
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-05-2012, 08:00 PM
nmCollector nmCollector is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 272
Question Mac OS X 10.8.1 (Mountain Lion) Testers Needed

My Mac is too old to upgrade to OS X 10.8.1 (Mountain Lion) and I can't justify spending $1K for a new Mac.

Some people using OS X 10.8.1 with Safari have not had success downloading the zip file for the Mac. It only partially downloads and then, when an attempt is made to run it, the Mac says the file is damaged and should be moved to the trash. I do not know if anybody with that OS has successfully downloaded the application.

I'm looking for ideas and people who might be able to help me diagnose the problem. One thing I would like someone to try is to download the application zip file using the free Google Chrome browser ( http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en...ev.html?dl=mac ) rather than Safari. I'm also wondering if there is some sort of firewall or security setting that is preventing the download.

I know mac added the "Gatekeeper" functionality to OS X 10.8.1 but that should not be interfering with the download.

Anybody wish to help? I'll give you a free lifetime activation at no charge.

Thanks,
__________________
Clay Pryor
nmCollector.net LLC

Last edited by nmCollector; 02-03-2013 at 03:56 PM. Reason: remove sticky
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Fogtripper Fogtripper is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UT
Posts: 2,952
Default

I would love to, but after the fiasco that was Lion, I reverted back to the more stable Snow Leopard. I no longer trust upgrading Mac System software.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-05-2012, 10:25 PM
nmCollector nmCollector is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogtripper View Post
I would love to, but after the fiasco that was Lion, I reverted back to the more stable Snow Leopard. I no longer trust upgrading Mac System software.
I liked Snow Leopard as well. I see a lot of people complaining about Mountain Lion on the net.

Clay
__________________
Clay Pryor
nmCollector.net LLC
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-05-2012, 10:35 PM
nmCollector nmCollector is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 272
Question

Mac OS X 10.8.1 has a new security tool named GateKeeper (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5290). According to all I have read it really should not affect the download. It is supposed to work after an application is downloaded and attempeted to run. At that point you should be able to right click it and select open. However, thanks to some help from fellow Mac users we were able to determine that it does prevent a complete download on NM Collector Software resulting in only a partial download.

So, here is the work around (until I can become an Apple "identified developer" and the new GateKeeper tool will allow my applications to be downloaded.) Open System Preferences and go into the Security & Privacy preference pane. There's a section that says "Allows applications downloaded from:" and the three options: Mac App Store, Mac App Store & Identified Developers, Anywhere. The second one is turned on by default but you need to change it to "Anywhere."

Once you get NM Collector to download and run you can change this setting back.

Also, some people are having problems with my instructional videos with their OS X 10.8.1 Macs. I'm still investigating that but they may work on my YouTube Channel at: http://www.youtube.com/user/nmcollector

Thanks,
__________________
Clay Pryor
nmCollector.net LLC

Last edited by nmCollector; 09-06-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-06-2012, 08:58 AM
cscmc1 cscmc1 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: IL
Posts: 2,156
Default

I'd love to help, but I'm running 10.7.4. That won't help, will it?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-06-2012, 03:06 PM
aj98 aj98 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SE VA
Posts: 2,666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmCollector View Post
My Mac is too old to upgrade to OS X 10.8.1 (Mountain Lion) and I can't justify spending $1K for a new Mac.

Some people using OS X 10.8.1 with Safari have not had success downloading the zip file for the Mac. It only partially downloads and then, when an attempt is made to run it, the Mac says the file is damaged and should be moved to the trash. I do not know if anybody with that OS has successfully downloaded the application.

I'm looking for ideas and people who might be able to help me diagnose the problem. One thing I would like someone to try is to download the application zip file using the free Google Chrome browser ( http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en...ev.html?dl=mac ) rather than Safari. I'm also wondering if there is some sort of firewall or security setting that is preventing the download.

I know mac added the "Gatekeeper" functionality to OS X 10.8.1 but that should not be interfering with the download.

Anybody wish to help? I'll give you a free lifetime activation at no charge.

Thanks,
I feel your pain.
My 2006 MacPro still moves along at a rapid pace, so I can't justify the cost of a new one just for the OS.


I have found under 10.7.x (Lion) some zip archives do not properly extract using the built-in Archive Utility.

Download/install StuffitExpander from SmithMicro.

Select the downloaded zip file, right click, open using... and select stuffitexpander. Has worked every time for me.

http://www.stuffit.com/mac-expander.html

Last edited by aj98; 09-06-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-06-2012, 08:03 PM
nmCollector nmCollector is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscmc1 View Post
I'd love to help, but I'm running 10.7.4. That won't help, will it?
Thanks for the offer - I'm looking for someone with 10.8.1.
__________________
Clay Pryor
nmCollector.net LLC
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-06-2012, 08:04 PM
nmCollector nmCollector is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 272
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj98 View Post

I have found under 10.7.x (Lion) some zip archives do not properly extract using the built-in Archive Utility.

Download/install StuffitExpander from SmithMicro.

Select the downloaded zip file, right click, open using... and select stuffitexpander. Has worked every time for me.

http://www.stuffit.com/mac-expander.html
Excellent idea! Thanks for the suggestion.
__________________
Clay Pryor
nmCollector.net LLC
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-06-2012, 09:34 PM
cscmc1 cscmc1 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: IL
Posts: 2,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmCollector View Post
Thanks for the offer - I'm looking for someone with 10.8.1.
I assumed as much -- wish I could help!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-14-2012, 10:22 AM
garandfunk garandfunk is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: DFW Tx
Posts: 1,083
Default

PM Sent.

Funk
__________________
Funk

50 positive iTrader ratings before iTrader was axed.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 AM.