Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > NM Collector CMP Edition Software
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 10:24 PM

Default question about the usb version

Ok, I read most of what I think I should have but still a little confused.

I downloaded, installed, and activated the Windows version.
All is good

I downloaded the USB version, planning on extracting it to a USB tomorrow. I assume I can use the same activation key to make it run?

My plans are to save database files back and forth to keep backed up. Only reason I am a little confused is all your tutorials suggest downloading the USB version and copying the files to a PC to run faster. Am I on the right track?

Thanks
Old 01-22-2013, 11:39 PM

Thumbs up On the right track

What you are doing will work but at some point in time you will have to copy files from one location to another in order to have the same data in more than one place. That is why I suggest you copy the files directly from one location to another. The database (nmcswDB folder) is all that really needs to be copied but it is easier to just copy the whole installation directory.

More info here: Copy Database From One Location to Another (backup)

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2013, 07:22 PM

I understand but correct me if I am wrong. The program/directory structure is the same on either install after the fact. My meaning of either install is the USB or the Windows download from you. I understand copying the data files back and forth to sync after both installs are up and running. Thanks for the help and looking forward to filling this up!

I have it running on my laptop with the Windows version now.
I need to get the USB key loaded up for my backup.
Can I do this in reverse and just copy the files from my laptop hard drive to the USB key? I havent had time to play with it yet.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:37 PM

Question Differences in Versions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeaton View Post
I understand but correct me if I am wrong. The program/directory structure is the same on either install after the fact. My meaning of either install is the USB or the Windows download from you. I understand copying the data files back and forth to sync after both installs are up and running. Thanks for the help and looking forward to filling this up!
Actually, if you download the Windows installer you only get the files required to run in Windows. The same for the Mac version and the Linux version. However, if you download the USB version you get all of the files you need to run the software on Windows, Mac, and Linux. So, if you intend to only run on Windows then you can just use the Windows version on your desktop and your USB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeaton View Post
I have it running on my laptop with the Windows version now.
I need to get the USB key loaded up for my backup.
Can I do this in reverse and just copy the files from my laptop hard drive to the USB key? I havent had time to play with it yet.
This is the best way to do it! I suggest using the USB flash drive as one of your backups. This helps to avoid loss of data (if you only update from your desktop not the USB) while allowing you to share your data with others on their computers if you choose to do so.

Thanks again!