Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > NM Collector CMP Edition Software
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 05:47 PM

I have found that I don't use the software very much

Need to move it onto my new laptop

Ed

Last edited by weimar_police; 02-16-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:43 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by weimar_police View Post
I have found that I don't use the software very much

Need to move it onto my new laptop

Ed
Easy to move - just copy the "installation directory" from one computer to another. No need to actually run and installer on the new computer. Here is a video showing you what to copy the whole program from one location to another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=5Z60c4getwQ

I find the laptop is very useful when visiting the safe if I have the bar coded hang tags attached to each item. I can then scan the bar code and the program takes me directly to the item on my laptop.

Thanks,
Old 02-16-2013, 08:12 PM

Clay, did not know it was so easy (I am a computer security guy for a living)

Working now...
Co-Author of Police Lugers 2012
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I & Vet Bring Backs Vol II, a collection of stories on guns & equipment brought back by GI's.
Co-Author of the book Simson Lugers
Old 02-16-2013, 08:14 PM

It does say 'unregistered' but it is, under my name

Ed
Co-Author of Police Lugers 2012
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I & Vet Bring Backs Vol II, a collection of stories on guns & equipment brought back by GI's.
Co-Author of the book Simson Lugers
Old 02-16-2013, 10:31 PM

Question

Quote:
It does say 'unregistered' but it is, under my name
Ed
Hmm - can you send me a screen capture?

Thanks,
Old 02-16-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Clay, did not know it was so easy (I am a computer security guy for a living)

Working now...
You computer security guys impress me! I have been in many software application development fields (from stand alone component test systems to web-based enterprise systems) but I have never been in a computer security job.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:12 AM

Back again.

You are, of course, right about the Identification tab. I misread the response.

I have the iReport generator running and have gotten along figuring out the database. I have modified existing reports to add more fields and written a file tab generator for my paper files. None of the new or modified reports will run from within NMCollector. They run fine from the iReport 5.0.1 IDE. I tried saving in 3.6.1 compatibility mode but that didn't help.

There is a table called "repairs" that is not available on the tabs. Has that been dropped? It might be more useful for a gun collection than "maintenance."

All in all, it's working very well. I like the flexibility and the ability to generate my own reports.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:23 PM

Thumbs up Great Work!

Way to go! I wrote the software against reports written in iReport version 3.6.1. After that the creators of iReport made some major changes to the reports so later versions will not run from within NM Collector Software. That is why I provide a link to iReport version 3.6.1.

However, since iReport 5.0.1 claims you can save your reports in 3.6.1 compatible format, they should work from within NM Collector Software. You need to call them using the Reports > Load Report From File menu items. There are two options: 1) Select Report or 2) Select Report With Parameters. Is that how you are trying to run them from NM Collector? If so, perhaps the reports really aren't being saved in 3.6.1 compatible format. I don't know as I have not tried later version of iReport yet. I have been sticking to 3.6.1 which works for me.

Regarding the Repairs table, it is something I was going to use but decided not to because Maintenance can be used for that purpose. It seems to me that Repairs might be though of as a special case of Maintenance. However, if there is a demand for repairs as a separate feature from maintenance I have the flexibility to add it later. You will note there are a lot of unused fields in the database. This is intentional. It gives me the flexibility to add new features to the software without having to update the database.

Thanks again. You are doing great!

Clay
Old 03-04-2013, 09:12 AM

I tried running the reports as you describe but they still didn't work. 5.0.1 apparently won't really save in 3.6.1 format. It spits out a list of cast errors. I installed 3.6.1 and modified and saved a report to test. When I ran it I didn't get anything, no output at all. It did run inside the IDE. I think that once you open and save a report in 5.0.1 it is wrecked for backward compatibility. I'm going to put 3.6.1 back on and see what happens with a new, unmodified report.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:26 PM

Thumbs up It should work

It should work for you. That is how I test all of my reports before I integrate them into the code.

Thanks!

Clay