Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2022, 08:20 PM

Default A4 Repro Legal for Springfield Match?

I’ve got a Rock River A4 repro with what I think is a repro A4 bolt.

Question: if I remove the scope and mount and fit the standard A3 sights, would it be legal for the Games Springfield Match?
Old 06-29-2022, 10:12 PM

Don't know why not
Old 06-30-2022, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
Don't know why not
Agreed. It's a Remington '03-A3 receiver right? With standard contour barrel? Add front and rear sights, make sure your trigger makes weight (4.5 not 2.5 lbs as allowed for vintage sniper) and you should be good. All stock variants are OK for Springfield (straight, scant, C).
Old 06-30-2022, 05:57 AM

I think the only thing they could get me on is the turned down bolt handle. Not “as issued”. Also, holes drilled and tapped for the scope mount not in A3 “as issued” condition.

Last edited by britrifles; 06-30-2022 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrifles View Post
I think the only thing they could get me on is the turned down bolt handle. Not “as issued”. Also, holes drilled and tapped for the scope mount not in A3 “as issued” condition.
Neither of those is an advantage. Almost positive this question has been answered before. But there's an easy solution if you want to verify yourself.

Competitions@TheCMP.org
Old 06-30-2022, 07:16 AM

Thanks for that link, I’ve emailed the CMP. Rifle inspections at the regional matches have been getting pretty stringent lately. If they won’t accept this, I’ll need to look for another A3.
Old 07-04-2022, 11:11 AM

If it originally was an A3 it could be used. The bolt would be a problem because it would not meet the rule requirement it be the same dimension even though it probably offers no advantage. A bolt body is cheap so that is an easy fix.

Why would you would do such a thing to a A4 reproduction? I think it would be more fun to use that in the sniper match. Or sell it and get an A3. Or best yet, just get a A3 to go with the A4 so you can shoot both matches.
Old 07-05-2022, 06:23 PM

I would be doing any permanent change to the rifle, it would be easy to return it back to the a4 repro config.

I bought the rifle with the intent on using it in the Vintage Sniper matches, but I find it very difficult, borderline painful, to shoot it prone with trying to hold my head high enough off the stock to see down the scope.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:06 PM

Can the striker sear clear your fingers when the off hand is placed on the stock like an LMG?

Distinguished Rifleman #2223
"Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara
Old 07-07-2022, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrifles View Post
I would be doing any permanent change to the rifle, it would be easy to return it back to the a4 repro config.

I bought the rifle with the intent on using it in the Vintage Sniper matches, but I find it very difficult, borderline painful, to shoot it prone with trying to hold my head high enough off the stock to see down the scope.
man, that is a common complaint up and down the line (me too)!..