Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2019, 08:31 PM

I have one very close to yours. Our's were the last of the Warner Swasey's made. Warner Swasey had been having a hard time acquiring parts and were late on their last run of scopes. That is why our rifles are such a late serial range.

I know I have documents from around 1929 to remove all Warner Swasey mounts, plug the receivers, and convert them back to standard service rifles. Every WS still in Army Inventory was supposed to have been converted at this time.

All that I have seen, they cut the screws on the outside of the mount and made them flush with the receiver. Otherwise if you wanted to, you could have some remove the ends of those screws and could put a mount back on it.

The hardest thing to find would be original screws. They were a very weird thread. I've seen online a lot of people quote the wrong thread on them and people have screwed up the threads on real receivers by installing wrong screws.

I don't know if they repo the screws or not. I've never looked. I know they make repo mounts though.

You could probably shop around and find a WS scope and mount for around a $1000 or so. Then you would probably have a couple hundred in gunsmith fees to remove the screws. You would also have to cut the stock some to clear the mount, as I doubt it has the WS stock any longer.

Is anything still original on the rifle, as far as barrel date or anything? It probably would have had a barrel date around July or August 1918.

This is just me, but I don't think there is a huge demand for the WS sniper. It does add some value, but not near as much as the other snipers.

I think if you bought a scope and installed it, then turned around later and sold the rifle complete, you would have a hard time breaking even.

It stinks but it seems they almost sell for more separate, than together.

If it was me I would personally keep it just like this. I think they are neater like this, than a restoration.

Just so you can see how the mount was put on your rifle, and what one looked like. I'm attaching pics of mine.

Last edited by cplnorton; 09-16-2019 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:39 AM

Thanks for the post cplnorton. I picked this one out because it's close to original. Correct barrel with great readings, finger groove stock etc. I changed out the sear because it was cracked, and replaced the bolt body with a later one because it was electropenciled with a different serial number. CMP put it out without a buttplate and they put a dark 1903 one on it.
I'm really not a 1903 guy and bought it as an impulse buy. I'll probably sell it to someone who would value it more than me.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:53 AM

For my own morbid curiosity, and well Neil is lurking above as well.

Does your barrel have a large A right under the date?
Old 09-17-2019, 06:55 AM

Barrel is dated 8/18, and it does have most of a letter "A" stamped underneath the date. Significance?

Last edited by GeeBee; 09-17-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:26 PM

There is a Warner & Swazey scope for sale now on www,jouster2
Old 09-17-2019, 04:09 PM

7,62x51mm, thanks for the heads up. I already have a 1903A4, and $1500 is a bit much for me. As I said before, this rifle was basically an impulse buy. I think I'll sell it to someone who will restore it and shoot it.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:26 PM

Nice rifle. I sent you a PM.

Mike
Old 09-17-2019, 06:33 PM

Reply sent.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeBee View Post
Barrel is dated 8/18, and it does have most of a letter "A" stamped underneath the date. Significance?
Andrew from Archival Research group found the documents on the meaning of the A, but it denotes 2nd Class.

They were barrels that had some type of flaw that had made them not pass inspection, but the flaw would not hurt accuracy.

My Warner Swasey has a 7/18 (A) marked barrel. I've actually seen several of them on WS.

The earlier WS were star gauged. I can't remember if I have documents on the last group of them manufactured being star guaged or not. I think I do have a document that say they were, but I didn't go back and look. I have a lot of info on this last batch from the Archives.

But it's just sort of neat honestly a 2nd class barrel used on snipers. But if it didn't hurt accuracy it really wouldn't matter much. Plus back then they treated sniper rifles much different than what we think of today.

One example, I read a Marine's diary from WWI, and when he stood guard duty at a crossroads they would issue him a Winchester A5 equipped rifle so he could use it like binoculars as people or vehicles approached.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:44 AM

I thought that I saw a stock with the Warner & Swazey cut on the inside left side on this forum a few days ago, maybe in the for sale section ?

Years ago I did mill a few stocks with a 10 mm ball cutter on the
left side on the inside, there are detailed drawings available to make this cut