X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TokiWartooth
    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by HughUno View Post
    apologies for not answering the question.

a no brainer and very accurate load is some variation of CE Wilson's "the Load" of 13 grains of Red Dot. I use 14.5-15.0 (best I recall) with 150-168+ and the rifle is about as loud as a .22 mag. It impacts 1 foot low, so crank up the rear sight accordingly. It is also exceedingly accurate and RD is bulky enough so a double-charge will flow out of the case mouth (not that I don't eyeball every round first).
    I have shot this load in my 03A3. It has about as much recoil as a BB gun and is fun to shoot, especially if you have younger children.

Comment

• Milsurp Collector
      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by 8milimeter View Post
      I have always wondered about the above picture of broken LN receivers. How does hitting the receiver rails with a hammer show anything. Why didnt they hit the receiver ring. Seems to me just about any bolt action would distort ,bend or break if you hit the rails.

Try it with any other similar bolt action rifle you have. Hit the side rail once with a hammer. It won't shatter. If you hit enough it will bend but not shatter.

Check out the pictures in this thread http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=61377

One LN receiver shattered while the barrel was being removed, the other LN receiver shattered when it dropped onto the floor.

Comment

• FrankD
        • Oct 2009

You can always shoot these or Guard cartridges.

Comment

• HughUno
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Milsurp Collector View Post
          Try it with any other similar bolt action rifle you have. Hit the side rail once with a hammer. It won't shatter. If you hit enough it will bend but not shatter.

Check out the pictures in this thread http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=61377

One LN receiver shattered while the barrel was being removed, the other LN receiver shattered when it dropped onto the floor.
          you can swallow all of Ed Hicks' tale or not.

I had several low number 1903 receivers broken out of several hundred that went through my store, both drill and fully functional rifles.

what was Ed doing to the HUNDREDS of LN rifles that caused him to destroy "several" receivers?

I suspect carelessly "salvaging" barrels is the answer. Likewise, if a receiver (alone) broke (big 'if' BTW) when he "dropped" it, it must have been AFTER he had already wranked the barrel off the the thing. The fall may have simply finished the thing off (i.e. it was already damaged from the negligent barrel removal).'

the (insurmountable) problem with this "LN rifles will kill/blind/main you" stuff is that it NEVER actually happens (at least not since the 1930's--LOL)
          Last edited by HughUno; 12-31-2011, 03:56 PM.

Comment

• iomatic
            • Dec 2011

Can I get more info on the headspace issue (is that part of the reason the cases 'blow' and subsequently break brittle receivers)?

Like, what are the tolerance ranges, what occurs, etc.? A FAQ?

Or is that a totally different issue?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X