Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Is it Real or Repro?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2020, 06:46 AM

Default EMcF

Bought this stock here from a forum member several years ago. I have it on my corrected 1943 1.77 mil SA. Couple questions about it as I've learned more about stamps ect. It has the square clip latch notch, the EMcF and ordinance stamp as shown. Serifed P but not the small ordinance stamp on the grip.
Babcock's book says some early EMcF's didn't have the small ordinance stamp on the grip but those were the ones with the angled clip latch notch. My guess is the pointed clip latch notch was from a drill bit and the squared ones from an end mill. This stock also has a couple letters and one number under the butt plate as stated in Babcock's book.

Couple of concerns here, first off is this EMcF real? and second could the small ordinance wheel have been omitted or just missed/not stamped on some stocks? I have a potential buyer but want to make sure this is real as I'm honest as the day is long.

Thanks for your input guys.

Last edited by Hunter Mag; 01-14-2020 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:44 AM

Looks good enough that I would buy it.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Looks legit to me...FWIW. I also have an EMcF stock without the grip cross cannons and a straight cut clip latch cut. Rick B has stated that grip cannons showed up around the mid EMcF run......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
All WWII production stocks were made in house. The features are exact on stocks for instance in the GAW period with or without cannons on the bottom of the grip. Sadly someone printed bogus info on Sub contractors and now rumor keeps spreading. Sub contractors which mainly was S.E. Overton did allot of stuff starting in the 50's Seeing or not seeing crossed cannons on the bottom of the grip only means they were lightly struck or wore off and nothing more. Mid EMcF all the way till the end of WWII in the NFR period these can be seen. Rick B
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....82#post1840082

I believe Babcock's numbers are way off. More like...S/N 665,000- 2,092,000 June 1942-October 1943, for EMcF stocks.

Last edited by Shomway; 01-13-2020 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:55 PM

My vote is 100% real, I have a pretty good library of known good ones, but none have the ordinance stamp as deep and clear as yours. nice stock.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post

I believe Babcock's numbers are way off. More like...S/N 665,000- 2,092,000 June 1942-October 1943, for EMcF stocks.
That was my mistake, somehow in my old age I mistaked those numbers with the no hole stock ferrule that I plan on putting up for sale soon. I deleted that info.
My apology Mr. Babcock.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:19 AM

I cant understand why people continue to use Babcocks as a reference when its known to be inaccurate