Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2020, 07:02 AM

Owen, If you used a Credit Card to fund your PayPal account, contact them to dispute the charge. They will usually help resolve the contested purchase. I have had to do this in the past. I do not allow PayPal access to my bank account.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:54 PM

got two separate emails from paypalintl.com today - both scams , stating that account was locked due to problem with personal info - forwarded both to spoof@paypal.com -
Old 05-28-2020, 05:07 PM

I didn't know they had a customer service dept.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:55 PM

"COVIN-18 threat!!" Another one?? Just when I was getting used to COVID 19, now this pops up. Woe is us.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM1MAN View Post
Owen, If you used a Credit Card to fund your PayPal account, contact them to dispute the charge. They will usually help resolve the contested purchase. I have had to do this in the past. I do not allow PayPal access to my bank account.
Exactly. Working in the computer industry, I recommend everyone get a credit just for online usage that has a low limit. Put this with PayPal as they are very reluctant to refund cash and your credit card company will do it faster. PayPal will send you a note scolding you for going through your credit card. If you must give PayPal a bank account as it is required for certain transactions, open another small account with a small cash balance.

Never put a debit card online. Nothing sucks more than your utility electronic withdrawal bouncing because a scammer drained your account.

As far as I know, no one contacts anyone via a blind email that there is a security issue with anything. I don't even check these. Don't open and deleted immediately. If you open it, never click the link. Sometimes that is enough to infect your computer with malware or ransomware.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joturkey View Post
NEVER open emails from Paypal, they look legit, they are not. I get them all the time if you suspect something is really wrong go directly to the REAL sight, "dont click their links in the email" if there really is a problem you will find out there. The scammers are VERY savy how they try to spoof the PP site
Not just PayPal.

ANY email from any financial institution, do not click on the links, go directly to the company's site.

Many mail programs will show you the real address of any links of you put the cursor in the link (DO NOT CLICK), and either box comes up, or in one of the lower corners, you will see the actual address.

So for a PayPal legit link, you should see something like:

https://www.paypal.com/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxx meaning some other characters.

You also have to be careful, you may see:

http;//www.paypal.com.xxxx.com

That is NOT PayPal.

Again, best is DO NOT CLICK LINKS IN EMAILS. Go directly to the site.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:32 PM

Just another reason not to use them. Dropped that and my Ebay account fifteen years ago.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:45 PM

If the email addresses you by your email account then more than likely it is a scammer email. If they don't know your legal name on the account, they definitely are not legit.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordionjohn View Post
Yep.....almost got burned a few years ago when I received an email supposedly from paypal regarding an issue with my password. When I clicked on the url in the email, a website came up that appeared to be the paypal website, but it was a hacker website that looked exactly like the real paypal website. So of course the display page asked for my account and password to supposedly verify that it was the real me. Needless to say, a few days later we received a call from a good Samaritan from overseas that had intercepted a paypal transaction with my account and password, and he alerted us to check my recent transactions on paypal and look for a suspicious charge (how he was able to decipher that transaction and then have a phone number to call me is beyond me)! Long story short, I called paypal immediately and they cancelled the transaction, which was from an overseas country, and I had to change my user and password. Soooooooo, beware of all emails with website url links to be absolutely certain they are legitimate. And when on a website, check for an "s" after http://www.xxxxxx as "https://www.xxxxxx", the "s" indicating a secure website and you will also see a closed padlock in front of the url, both meaning that the data being transferred between you and the site is encrypted, making for a private connection. Sorry for being so long, guys! As Navwings said above, can't be too careful.

NEVER.....NEVER.....NEVER...Did I say NEVER ......Never click on a link in an email even if it looks legit. Open up a separate web browser and type in the site you want to go to instead. You know how many of these breaches happen in companies where records are exposed....some employee opened an email and clicked on a malicious link. The link went to the hacker's site and the hacker got access the company's computer.

Looking for 1905 style S/A bayonets S/N 922033 & 1045220

John
Proud Member of the M1CC #112
Old 05-31-2020, 03:25 PM

Never, never, ever click on a link in an email. If you even THINK the email is legit, go to the web site and log in there and then check your account. No legitimate company will ask you to click on a link in an email to verify any information about your account.