Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Is it Real or Repro?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2020, 09:16 AM

Default Real Or Repro T37 Flash Hider (How To Tell)

I made this video last summer after spending way too much time researching these. In the interim I spotted a lot of really good quality machined repros, so I never posted it. Nonetheless, I think this is a good primer, and as detailed as I could be about how to spot a fake. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8ab0ltaWHE
Old 02-20-2020, 05:53 AM

Nice detailed video but it doesnt take 13 minutes to tell if you have a fake. All you gotta do is look here and forget the rest
Old 02-20-2020, 06:03 AM

Thanks Orlando, I know, the video was about 12 minutes too long
Old 02-21-2020, 09:45 AM

Default Great description video

Thanks a lot for that video. I have a T-37 purchased years ago as an original. I have looked at the various pics on line and was almost sure it was USGI. Your video of the details to look for has finally convinced me it is the real thing.Mine passed with 100% on each feature.
13 minutes of very good information, I am sure others appreciate your attention to detail. I certainly do. If you ever have more information like this don't hesitate to post it. Thanks again.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:46 PM

Here we go again, folks trying to show a machined
surface where none ever existed. If its machined, it IS a fake. Please take a basic blueprint reading course, and then refer to Dept of the Army, Rock Island Arsenal print/drawing #7266434. You will then understand that the the surface as indicated in the video is a CAST, as in note 1, finish rqmt is 125, except as noted, and as in note 3, section B describes, Precision Casting: Steel. This surface was NEVER machined. The only machining was for Surf "A", and rh and lh view of the two thru dia's, section view AA and included thread callout. Precision cast products are VERY close tolerance castings, capable of eliminating many machine operations, and THAT clearance feature is cast IN. While I won't attempt to teach this basic course of knowledge in BP Reading or basic Machine Shop Class 101, if the same effort was put into basic machining as was put into the video, great strides forward would have been made.

Last edited by DrD03A3M1; 02-28-2020 at 02:47 PM. Reason: correction to text
Old 02-28-2020, 04:04 PM

Hey @DrD03A3M1, I wasn't looking to offend you, or make you angry. Sorry I got that wrong, I am not a machinist. You are clearly an expert. My hat is off to you, take it easy man. Thanks for the info, I will make a little edit to my video.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:12 PM

I am neither upset, nor am I angry. I have to admit I didn't watch the whole video. I have both original GI T37 and a repop. I cant tell any difference in function on my M1's. I would ask, however, that you, in your video, insist that ALL T37's be installed and checked with the proper guide rod, to insure there is no misalignment.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:58 AM

I will not honor that request, If you would like to make a video on proper installation you are welcome to. This video had one purpose, how an amatuer can tell the difference, that's it. It is very clear from your comments that you were both upset, offended, and angry about the subject. To be clear, the point of the video, which took a total of 13 minutes to make, and was probably 12 minutes too long was to show people how to tell the difference when they were looking. You got wildly hung up on me describing that it was machined, which was something I saw referenced online dozens of times, and didn't even watch the whole video. I have not claimed to be the world's foremost authority on the subject, and I say in the video I am not an expert. You are the expert, you are free to make your own video, instead of getting all bent out of shape about mine, make a better one. And man, take it easy.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:50 AM

Default No good deed goes unpunished

Ryan, I'm sorry you had to put up with the critique above. I have been a forum participant for a long time and it seems there are always some who want to cast aspersions. Out of anger or frustration, who knows why.
Again, know your post was appreciated, and I do not consider myself a garand novice or beginner. It was helpful and well done but, no good deed goes unpunished.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:37 PM

Ryan,

Great video and nice job putting this together. Very nice presentation. As with everything around here you will find that everyone is an expert with an opinion. I think you did a fine job explaining the difference between the two examples that you had shown i your video.

Saw.