Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-20-2020, 01:57 PM
champ0608 champ0608 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 160
Default Anyone try "the load" in an M1?

For those of you who've actually trued it, will "the load" (13 grains of red dot) reliably cycle an M1?

I've sold off all my M1s, so I can't try it myself. Confirming one way or the other will help me make a decision about buying another one.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-20-2020, 04:07 PM
wfost9901 wfost9901 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Brandon, Florida
Posts: 22
Default

It won't cycle an M1, it turns it into a straight pull bolt action, but the recoil is nonexistent.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-20-2020, 07:16 PM
ceresco ceresco is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,777
Default

No, it will not. If you keep adding shotgun powder, you will get to a distructive high pressure fast. However, it goes down too fast to provide the sustained gas impulse at the front end required to cycle a M1. FYI it takes about 34grs of 4895 type powder to cycle most M1s. Good Shooting. ....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-20-2020, 09:18 PM
HighpowerRifleBrony HighpowerRifleBrony is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ0608 View Post
For those of you who've actually trued it, will "the load" (13 grains of red dot) reliably cycle an M1?

I've sold off all my M1s, so I can't try it myself. Confirming one way or the other will help me make a decision about buying another one.

Thanks
No, no cycle with 13gr under 168gr BTHP. The bolt may go back <half way, but won't even reset the trigger. Cutting up one oprod to extend another ala the Brits AR15s would be nice. If lighter springs are available, that would disturb the positions a little less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6U3SBSrk3c

17gr VV N32C and Speer 125gr/130gr HP also shoot well, though that was without the gas plug, so the harmonics may be different with plug.
__________________
Distinguished Rifleman #2223
"Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara

Last edited by HighpowerRifleBrony; 06-20-2020 at 09:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-20-2020, 09:30 PM
HighpowerRifleBrony HighpowerRifleBrony is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
No, it will not. If you keep adding shotgun powder, you will get to a distructive high pressure fast. However, it goes down too fast to provide the sustained gas impulse at the front end required to cycle a M1. FYI it takes about 34grs of 4895 type powder to cycle most M1s. Good Shooting. ....
Yep. Gordon's Reloading Tool (with Red Dot imported from QuickLoad) is showing 40k PSI peak chamber pressure with 17gr under 175gr SMK. Next to no pressure gain on the muzzle end.
__________________
Distinguished Rifleman #2223
"Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-21-2020, 08:43 AM
canes7 canes7 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,431
Default

Why do this when there are so many proven M1 loads?
__________________
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dan W.
CMP GSM Master Instructor
CMP HP Master
DR#2474 (2019) 1/2 with irons, 1/2 with optics
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-21-2020, 10:58 AM
champ0608 champ0608 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes7 View Post
Why do this when there are so many proven M1 loads?
I was in a pretty bad bicycle accident when I was a teenager. Ever since, it doesn't take much to set off wicked migraines, and shooting .30s does it every time. Sometimes they last a couple days.

With bolt actions I can shoot "the load" without any repercussions, but I'd never tried it in an autoloader.

The reduced loads I have tried for M1s haven't gone far enough in reducing recoil. I pay for it almost immediately afterwards.

Luckily I have a couple super nice 1903s and 1917s that scratch the milsurp .30 itch when it comes around.

Thanks everyone for your responses.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-21-2020, 12:32 PM
LavaTech LavaTech is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Top of my mountain, in rural Reno, NV
Posts: 958
Default

I have the same sort of question for "the load" for Gevärsexerciskrut 1 (Swedish for rifle practice powder 1). I have a bunch and haven't started on cast loads with it yet, but wondered if anyone else has (other than Dutchman). I wouldn't expect that it will cycle the action, and is probably better suited to an '03 or other bolt gun.
__________________
Appleseed Project: Where marksmanship meets history and the heritage begins.
Revolutionary War Veterans Association http://www.appleseedinfo.org/
Paying Tribute To April 19, 1775 Through Awareness, Learning & Marksmanship.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-22-2020, 06:45 AM
canes7 canes7 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ0608 View Post
I was in a pretty bad bicycle accident when I was a teenager. Ever since, it doesn't take much to set off wicked migraines, and shooting .30s does it every time. Sometimes they last a couple days.

With bolt actions I can shoot "the load" without any repercussions, but I'd never tried it in an autoloader.

The reduced loads I have tried for M1s haven't gone far enough in reducing recoil. I pay for it almost immediately afterwards.

Luckily I have a couple super nice 1903s and 1917s that scratch the milsurp .30 itch when it comes around.

Thanks everyone for your responses.
I couldn’t imagine not shooting what I like to shoot. Sorry, that’s horrible.
__________________
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dan W.
CMP GSM Master Instructor
CMP HP Master
DR#2474 (2019) 1/2 with irons, 1/2 with optics
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-28-2020, 11:44 AM
wfo87 wfo87 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 821
Default

That is horrible. Can someone explain the load to me? I have been at this for years and never heard of it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 AM.