Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2020, 01:57 PM

Default Anyone try "the load" in an M1?

For those of you who've actually trued it, will "the load" (13 grains of red dot) reliably cycle an M1?

I've sold off all my M1s, so I can't try it myself. Confirming one way or the other will help me make a decision about buying another one.

Thanks
Old 06-20-2020, 04:07 PM

It won't cycle an M1, it turns it into a straight pull bolt action, but the recoil is nonexistent.
Old 06-20-2020, 07:16 PM

No, it will not. If you keep adding shotgun powder, you will get to a distructive high pressure fast. However, it goes down too fast to provide the sustained gas impulse at the front end required to cycle a M1. FYI it takes about 34grs of 4895 type powder to cycle most M1s. Good Shooting. ....
Old 06-20-2020, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ0608 View Post
For those of you who've actually trued it, will "the load" (13 grains of red dot) reliably cycle an M1?

I've sold off all my M1s, so I can't try it myself. Confirming one way or the other will help me make a decision about buying another one.

Thanks
No, no cycle with 13gr under 168gr BTHP. The bolt may go back <half way, but won't even reset the trigger. Cutting up one oprod to extend another ala the Brits AR15s would be nice. If lighter springs are available, that would disturb the positions a little less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6U3SBSrk3c

17gr VV N32C and Speer 125gr/130gr HP also shoot well, though that was without the gas plug, so the harmonics may be different with plug.
Distinguished Rifleman #2223
"Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara

Last edited by HighpowerRifleBrony; 06-20-2020 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
No, it will not. If you keep adding shotgun powder, you will get to a distructive high pressure fast. However, it goes down too fast to provide the sustained gas impulse at the front end required to cycle a M1. FYI it takes about 34grs of 4895 type powder to cycle most M1s. Good Shooting. ....
Yep. Gordon's Reloading Tool (with Red Dot imported from QuickLoad) is showing 40k PSI peak chamber pressure with 17gr under 175gr SMK. Next to no pressure gain on the muzzle end.
Distinguished Rifleman #2223
"Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara
Old 06-21-2020, 08:43 AM

Why do this when there are so many proven M1 loads?
CMP HP Master
DR#2474 (2019) 1/2 with irons, 1/2 with optics
Old 06-21-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes7 View Post
Why do this when there are so many proven M1 loads?
I was in a pretty bad bicycle accident when I was a teenager. Ever since, it doesn't take much to set off wicked migraines, and shooting .30s does it every time. Sometimes they last a couple days.

With bolt actions I can shoot "the load" without any repercussions, but I'd never tried it in an autoloader.

The reduced loads I have tried for M1s haven't gone far enough in reducing recoil. I pay for it almost immediately afterwards.

Luckily I have a couple super nice 1903s and 1917s that scratch the milsurp .30 itch when it comes around.

Thanks everyone for your responses.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:32 PM

I have the same sort of question for "the load" for Gevärsexerciskrut 1 (Swedish for rifle practice powder 1). I have a bunch and haven't started on cast loads with it yet, but wondered if anyone else has (other than Dutchman). I wouldn't expect that it will cycle the action, and is probably better suited to an '03 or other bolt gun.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ0608 View Post
I was in a pretty bad bicycle accident when I was a teenager. Ever since, it doesn't take much to set off wicked migraines, and shooting .30s does it every time. Sometimes they last a couple days.

With bolt actions I can shoot "the load" without any repercussions, but I'd never tried it in an autoloader.

The reduced loads I have tried for M1s haven't gone far enough in reducing recoil. I pay for it almost immediately afterwards.

Luckily I have a couple super nice 1903s and 1917s that scratch the milsurp .30 itch when it comes around.

Thanks everyone for your responses.
I couldn’t imagine not shooting what I like to shoot. Sorry, that’s horrible.
CMP HP Master
DR#2474 (2019) 1/2 with irons, 1/2 with optics
Old 06-28-2020, 11:44 AM

That is horrible. Can someone explain the load to me? I have been at this for years and never heard of it.