Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCDave View Post
As a rebuild collector, I would like to see pics of the complete rifle if you have the time.
Some additional pics below. I'm taking the advice of you senior collectors and I'm not going to do anything to the stock. I just did a bit of cleanup since the rifle looks like it sat in a safe since it was bought.

The comments about the RRAD being legit make sense because the rifle looks unissued. From the comments in the forum, I imagine it was bought at one of the stores back before the Greek returns when many arsenal rebuilds were being sold.

https://imgur.com/a/fSTeQ7k
Old 12-09-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryDoug View Post
Some additional pics below. I'm taking the advice of you senior collectors and I'm not going to do anything to the stock. I just did a bit of cleanup since the rifle looks like it sat in a safe since it was bought.

The comments about the RRAD being legit make sense because the rifle looks unissued. From the comments in the forum, I imagine it was bought at one of the stores back before the Greek returns when many arsenal rebuilds were being sold.

https://imgur.com/a/fSTeQ7k
Thank you for the additional pics. That is a fantastic looking RRAD rebuild and one I'd be proud to own. I agree that it doesn't appear to have been used...if so, not very much.

Nice pick-up and congrats!
Old 12-09-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCDave View Post
Thank you for the additional pics. That is a fantastic looking RRAD rebuild and one I'd be proud to own. I agree that it doesn't appear to have been used...if so, not very much.

Nice pick-up and congrats!
Thanks Dave!

I appreciate the input from you old hats. I've only be in this game since March of this year. I've literally been giving myself a crash course on the Garands, and I've studied harder than I did for my Masters degree!

But every time I think I know something, I come on here and you guys educate me some more.

I'm trying to make it a habit to ask advice before I do something stupid. I don't want to have my wife calling me Bubba!
Old 12-10-2018, 01:25 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryDoug View Post
Thanks Dave!

I appreciate the input from you old hats. I've only be in this game since March of this year. I've literally been giving myself a crash course on the Garands, and I've studied harder than I did for my Masters degree!

But every time I think I know something, I come on here and you guys educate me some more.

I'm trying to make it a habit to ask advice before I do something stupid. I don't want to have my wife calling me Bubba!
Good to hear Doug!
We've discovered more in the last ten years about Garands than in the previous thirty five. A ton of rifles are being "corrected" by newbies before they realize what they have. Original M1s and the opportunity to study them are disappearing daily.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:51 AM

Personally, I would leave the stock as is. Looks good to me. I have an RRAD stock, and it has the dark tint like yours. And I won't ever refinish it.

Last edited by enfield; 12-10-2018 at 03:58 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:21 AM

Your stock is actually in great shape with a really nice square P. It's a RRAD proof, and most likely the original stock from rebuild. Mineral spirits is not really good to use to strip a stock. It gets the job done but things like Purple Power, Acetone, or even Simple Green are far far better. I suspect there is still some grime in that stock.

But that said, some birch is just not that attractive looking although I would rate yours as well above average as you have minimal dents and a solid rebuild stock. You might find that stripping more color and ageing will make it look even more like a wall flower. You went this far, so not sure how you want to proceed. You might never get the handguards to match. But as others have said that was never a goal in the 60's, some of my rebuilds came with walnut uppers.

Your post brings back memories as my very first Garand i purchased in 2001 is a 3.77m SA rebuilt by RRAD. The stock was jet black all over and after stripping it, I found an ugly mottled finish and grain that was downright pitiful looking with dings and dents that suddenly became much more prominent after stripping. After enduring many photos of pristine birch and walnut stocks of other people's rifles here, and after stripping and re-staining and stripping and re-staining in an attempt to turn it into something I liked, I decided to ditch it and get another stock for it. With hindsight I wish I had left it alone as at least the black stock finish was uniform and better matched the walnut uppers and I would not have destroyed an original from rebuild rifle.

EDIT: I just saw your second set of photos. OMG that's stock is a keeper. Don't do anything more.

Best of luck.
Tony

Last edited by TSimonetti; 12-10-2018 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSimonetti View Post
Mineral spirits is not really good to use to strip a stock.

EDIT: I just saw your second set of photos. OMG that's stock is a keeper. Don't do anything more.
Tony
When I received it, the butt stock was covered in a black grime. I used some mineral spirits to clean off the surface grime, and that's all I've done. I now appreciate the stock more - even with the mismatched hand guards - because of the opinion of you experts.

Again, I appreciate the input and I feel better that I got a good deal on the rifle. And it's an SA/WRA serial number overrun to boot.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:49 PM

Doug,
That is a very nice looking RRAD rebuild and looks like it has not been molested.
Dave is right on the money with the leg etch. Many are hard to see while others are easy to read.

very nice, and not an easy rifle to find in that condition anymore,
Rob
Old 12-10-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob30-06 View Post
Doug,
That is a very nice looking RRAD rebuild and looks like it has not been molested.
Dave is right on the money with the leg etch. Many are hard to see while others are easy to read.

very nice, and not an easy rifle to find in that condition anymore,
Rob
Thanks Rob! I've come to really love this hobby. It's a thrill to get a rifle with some history at a decent price. And it's great to have the experts like you in the forums to get much needed guidance.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:19 PM

Your stock set now matches better than most of the Garands I've handled. That rifle looks pretty good.

I regard the "correcting" fad to be a bad as the "dry is good" foolishness that has been extant.
As some of the other folks have said, a sound military rebuild has been degraded with parts from ???. I suspect many good rifles have been ruined by swapping bolts, barrels and other parts; to wind up with a possibly inaccurate, unreliable and even unsafe collection of parts.
I would always prefer, and would pay more for, an original rebuild than a corrected rifle. In fact, I advise folks to avoid corrected rifles unless carefully inspected by a knowledgeable gunsmith, and function fired and tested for accuracy.