Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2021, 07:40 PM

Default To Each His Own

Spotted a 4-digit Inland in the LGS yesterday. Unfortunately, it had been heavily sporterized. Polished and blued, and fitted with a Manlicher stock and blade front sight. Asking price was 800. I had no interest in owning it in its present configuration, and I absolutely don't need another restoration project. The workmanship actually looked pretty good. Still made me a little sick, though.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:09 AM

I have run into same thing many times but days of restoration are long over for me. Always became sink hole for money. I will say that in past times, when a carbine was sold or 20 bucks from DCM, it sparked the same after market flurry of items to alter carbines as is happening with the AR market. The carbine became the platform to alter with any number of things just like the AR is today. It became often the target of sporterizing for quite a few years and mind you the early AR days had folks lopping off the carry handle and mounting scope. Its an American thing to always want to Hot Rod a fire arm or car. Nowadays when one sees a carbine, Johnson automatic rifle , 03 or Garand that has been sporterized , one wonders what got into anyone to do it. Answer was at the time in the past, such weapons were cheap, tons available and no risk involved hot rodding them.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:41 AM

You are correct. Different times, and different priorities. I'm sure the owner who did or contracted for the work was pleased with the result and enjoyed the rifle.
Old 12-06-2021, 01:53 PM

I would consider it for the right price. Carbine furniture is plentiful and there could be a pearl under all that useless wood. Barreled actions can easily cost close to what that asking price is. I say….”for the right price”.
Old 12-06-2021, 01:58 PM

Bolt on parts are easy, but it's the polishing and refinishing that kill it for most people.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:17 PM

Talking shooter here. No way would I consider it for restoration, but I have spare wood and parts. People have gladly laid-out well over $1500 for African import junk on a hunch. I’d surely consider it, if I could crack it open to see what’s inside.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwagon View Post
Bolt on parts are easy, but it's the polishing and refinishing that kill it for most people.
This. But I have to confess that I caught myself wondering what magic Shuff could work on it. I'd have to look closer, but I suspect the only usable parts would be the action, bolt, and trigger group. From a cursory examination of the front end, I'm pretty sure a new barrel would be needed, but not 100% sure of that.

Last edited by Tester19; 12-06-2021 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:45 PM

I wouldn't mind owning such an example. Think of it as a "presentation grade"piece.