Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2019, 09:51 PM

Default Restored 3-43 SA

Is there any reason I shouldn't shoot this treasure with correct uncut op rod using non-corrosive US M2 ball or M2AP? Not talking about shooting it a lot, just enough to zero it at 100 yds and shoot some 10 round groups for accuracy determination.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmat View Post
Is there any reason I shouldn't shoot this treasure with correct uncut op rod using non-corrosive US M2 ball or M2AP? Not talking about shooting it a lot, just enough to zero it at 100 yds and shoot some 10 round groups for accuracy determination.
If it's restored, nothing on it is irreplaceable except for the receiver, and what you are planning is not going to hurt it one bit.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:59 AM

Default Restored 3-43 SA

Thank you, sir. I am taking subject to my CMP-affiliated club today to "blow the rust out of the bore". Just kidding, the ME is 1+ and TE is about 2.5. Lightest frosting in grooves, sharp lands, good crown. A new Orion 7 op rod spring is in it now, but will switch to NOS GI spring when I get my hands on one. This puppy started life with me at CMP NS as a Field Grade, and I finally got the proper hand guards for it just a few weeks ago. I plan to cheat and single load rounds, shooting from bench with a tight cuffed sling I acquired when I was on the rifle team at Carnegie Tech in 1969. I achieved my Distinguished Expert (small bore) Qualification at age 16, but I'm not much of a high power guy and an "elderly" person, though the rifle is almost 8 years older than me. I can't wait! Also targeting my restored PB 429 Danish contract M1.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:44 AM

Default Restored 3-43 SA Range report

Fired it yesterday afternoon, shooting two clips of CMP LC 69 Overhead Fire M2 ball at 100 yds from bench rest. First clip established point of impact and, and sight correction made. Second clip placed all 8 shots in the black on SR1 target center, extreme spread 4 1/8", with seven of eight in 2 1/2" group, scoring 78 out of 80 possible points. I went home a happy shooter even though I scored 0x. I guess I will keep it and shoot it more with some quality hand loads with match bullets. It will be for sale at some point, once I figure out what it's worth.