Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2019, 08:43 PM

I really like the one I got and I'm considering ordering a Winchester one.
WRA: 2479244
IHC: 4618664
HRA: 5503893

Carbine:
Inland: 5382918
Old 10-07-2019, 09:50 PM

I decided i will wait for the 308 RG’s to become available. This way i can have one of each caliber.

Besides, oiling and sanding this new stock on my last one is taking up all my time right now.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:58 AM

I handled 8 of the SA Special RG's at the TMP Saturday. One or two had Very poor lock up of the rear sight, it spun very easy, I would guess it would drop the rear sight under recoil, the screws were tight. The splines on the receiver looked sharp, so I would guess it's the actual elevation knob that was worn down. Parts other than the re-finished ones were pretty rusty.

The foam and tape that the CMP is placing over the op-rod handles are RUSTING the op-rod handles. I removed a few foam protectors and they had rust growing under the foam. CMP needs to either oil the handle then put the foam on or leave the foam off. My opinion.

Two heels had a pretty significant gap between the heel and the stock with the trigger guard installed.

Some had very poor triggers, as in you would press it all the way to the rear and it would stop... Then "click" the one I picked up had an excellent trigger and a very tight fitting stock. Rear sight had great positive engagement however it had pretty rusty rear sight parts, op-rod handle was coated in fresh rust from the foam protector. Some had MW 0 TE 0 and some had MW 0+ on the tags. I got a MW 0 and tested it when I got home, it seemed to be less than 0, gauge was sitting very tall in the bore.

They are all bone dry. I did notice one rifle on the rack with red grease slathered all over the action. Maybe it was a returned rifle?

Several rack and field grades had yellow inspection tags on them dated late 1950's, stocks were beat to hell with no cartouches but had some very respectable MW and TE numbers.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:54 PM

CMP got my return back last week and promptly approved the exchange. I paid the difference and had them replace it with a Winchester Special Rack. It should ship today.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:30 PM

Received two winchesters today. Expected heavy pitting. Some but not heavy. Gas cylinder finish is mottle shiny. Happy. I know: pictures. Hopefully this WE. Satisfied customer. Fast delivery! Thanks
Old 10-12-2019, 06:49 AM

If you intend to use your rifle in the woods, and the shiny gas cylinder is a problem, there are some decent solutions that can be done at home. Got some "its not military" criticism on this in another forum; but charcoal grill paint, baked on in the oven works well, and is pretty durable.

My first Garand had a shiny gas cylinder and lock. I got a spray can of black non-gloss Rust-Oleum. Did a few coats and baked them in the oven. That was over 30 years ago and the paint is still intact, and not shiny.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Not You View Post
If you intend to use your rifle in the woods, and the shiny gas cylinder is a problem, there are some decent solutions that can be done at home. Got some "its not military" criticism on this in another forum; but charcoal grill paint, baked on in the oven works well, and is pretty durable.

My first Garand had a shiny gas cylinder and lock. I got a spray can of black non-gloss Rust-Oleum. Did a few coats and baked them in the oven. That was over 30 years ago and the paint is still intact, and not shiny.
I would think thats plenty durable for the everyday joe. I highly doubt any normal person would shoot enough rounds in one string of fire to heat it up enough to cook the paint off. We aint using these things in combat so spray can paint IMO would be just fine.

You could prob even cerakote it for a more perm solution if you wanted to pay the extra $.

On a side note, i finally finished the Tung oil on my stock. I oiled the parked barrel and receiver and cleaned off some rust on the bullet guides and greased/reassembled everything.

Once the receiver got a good bath of CLP, i found it is a LEAD dipped receiver. I can clearly see the darker outline of the heel.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Pb2kFJc

Last edited by airaddict; 10-13-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airaddict View Post
I would think thats plenty durable for the everyday joe. I highly doubt any normal person would shoot enough rounds in one string of fire to heat it up enough to cook the paint off. We aint using these things in combat so spray can paint IMO would be just fine.

You could prob even cerakote it for a more perm solution if you wanted to pay the extra $.

On a side note, i finally finished the Tung oil on my stock. I oiled the parked barrel and receiver and cleaned off some rust on the bullet guides and greased/reassembled everything.

Once the receiver got a good bath of CLP, i found it is a LEAD dipped receiver. I can clearly see the darker outline of the heel.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Pb2kFJc
Very nice!
Old 10-13-2019, 11:04 PM

Heres a sample of my accuracy. I ended up moving the front sight all the way to the left plus 1 click left windage & 6 clicks from bottom to zero. The PPU Garand ammo was running a bit fast at ~2850fps using the Garand gear ported plug.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Qxovomu
Old 10-14-2019, 04:09 AM

The RG specials have a new Criterion barrel. They should shoot well if the stock fits properly etc.