Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2019, 04:51 PM

Default Tale of two Field Grades

WARNING, Do not mail order a Field Grade based on what you see here. Read the grade description on the CMP forum carefully and expect to get that.
I have never mail ordered a Field Grade in the past, in fact I usually warn people not to. You can get a rifle that is rough and needs the barrel replaced (and still be in the grade description) or get a rifle better than the two I received. Its all luck of the draw
I rolled the dice and did OK

I placed a order for two field grades by snail mail 9/23/ 19, they arrrived 10/4/19. Probably would have been a few days faster but I had a “delay” on the NICS check.
I was hoping for more WWII parts but I cannot be disappointed as both rifles easily fall in the Field Grade description. The following pictures are taken as the rifles were as received when taken out of case
For the most part both rifles were fairly clean and grease free

First rifle ,receiver dates from 3/42 has 4/51 barrel. MW- hair over 3 TW -4, chamber face is not in white. Bore was filthy but cleaned up well, no pitting
Finish is very good or better hardly any wear , no pitting.
Clip latch pin was stuck, had to be driven out, cleaned. Rear sight had very slight rust ,knobs would not turn as they were full of hardened grease. Elevation knob has good strong detent
No cracks to the stock or hand guards, a few large gouges on guards as shown, no cartouches or proof P. Lock up is loose. Butt plate is rusty but decent checkering
Op rod piston and gas cylinder gage in spec, tab alittle worn but OK. Op rod spring needs replaced
Rifle is a mixture of WWII and Post War SA parts

Old 10-11-2019, 04:52 PM

Second rifle, receiver dates from 4/44, barrel 2/43 ,MW- 2.5 , TW-4 ,bore is good, no pitting or frosting, gas port pads are not chromed. Chamber face is in the white
Wood is better than the other, no cracks ,repairs or large dents or gouges, lock up is loose , no cartouches or P proofs. Butt plate is refinished , checkering is worn
Finish has more wear than other rifle but still good condition. Some rust on receiver and hand guard cap, alittle pitting under rear hand guard. Although just cosmetic I will recrown muzzle
Op Rod piston and tab , gas cylinder is in spec, elevation detent/ is sharp, op rod spring needs replaced
Rifle is a mixture of SA WWII and Post War parts
Old 10-13-2019, 04:51 PM

Nice looking rifle and a cousin too boot. I have 500126, glad the family is slowly retuning.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:26 PM

Thanks for the write up Bill. I also appreciate your disclaimer at the top of the post about others not expecting similar results. You message repeated over the years about expecting the item description is a constant good reminder.