Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2019, 10:52 PM

I'm of the opinion that it's your property and you can do what you want with it. Leave it as recieved or find the correct parts. It makes no difference to me, it's yours to enjoy. It's a hobby.

Last edited by Det. Jason 714; 10-12-2019 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:57 PM

Det. Jason, so true!!!!
Old 10-13-2019, 01:00 AM

I donít really pay any attention to what other people are doing. While I donít correct pieces I donít mind that others do. It is their way of participating in this hobby. That being said, telling others it is in original configuration when trying to sell said milsurp is dishonest and something that really makes me mad. If you are going to ďcorrectĒ your stuff please fill buyers in instead of trying to screw people over. Iíve caught more than 1 person lying about this (not here) and let them have it and walked away.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimit View Post
I get so tired of some new guy with very few posts complaining about how some people who have been collecting Garands for over 30 years chose to enjoy this hobby. People have been bringing these old mixmasters back to correct configuration since the early years of Garand collecting. The only reason there is such a wealth of information on M1 Garands is because of all the research done by these people to find out just what parts are, or are not, correct for each phase of Garand production. They do it because they are interested in the history of the rifle. The M1 Garand was, at the time of WWII, the best combat rifle used by any army, but today it is just fun to shoot and tinker with. You can target shoot with it but there are better and more accurate rifles for that. You can hunt with it, but there are better and easier to carry rifles for that. If I want to shoot for accuracy my AR is more accurate. When I go hunting I choose a Remington 700. When I want to just go over to the range a shoot a few round for fun I use a Garand. In this day and age where a Garand shines is in its historical significance. That is where the fun is in correcting a Garand and why so many people enjoy doing it. Bringing it back to what it was like during its important period of history. No one makes money correcting a Garand, and I don't know of anyone who does it in hopes of showing a profit. They do it so they can say, This is what it would have looked like when it first came from the factory during WWII, notice the uncut slant side op rod, notice the lock bar sight, notice the cartouche stamped in the stock, etc. There is a difference between an original and a correct rifle. Very few people have seen, or will ever see, an original M1 Garand, especially one from WWII production. On the other hand, people who are interested in the historical significance of these rifles may very well be able to see close up what an original WWII rifle was like by viewing a corrected example. May I suggest the original poster should just go ahead and enjoy his mixmaster, being content that it may have been rebuilt by a government facility and if so is representative of an arsenal rebuild. May I also suggest that there are a lot of collectors who are interested in the manufacturing history of these rifles and enjoy the research and parts gathering required to enjoy the correcting side of Garand collecting. These are the people who really understand and have great knowledge about these old guns. Many people are satisified to just own and shoot their Garand and that is just fine too
In fairness to the OP, I've seen some really horrible restoration jobs. Hobby or not, many collectors just don't know what they are doing and don't know when to leave something alone.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSimonetti View Post
In fairness to the OP, I've seen some really horrible restoration jobs. Hobby or not, many collectors just don't know what they are doing and don't know when to leave something alone.
This^^^^^! in spades. Especially when it comes to important factors such as headspace and function.
RVN 67-68
Old 10-13-2019, 05:46 AM

I personally prefer and use the term "restore" or "restoration" when discussing this. I enjoy restoring old square body Chevy K10's and K5's. I enjoy restoring Farmall tractors. And I enjoy restoring M1 Garands...to as close to factory condition as I can get. I did not realize though that this was a recent and desperate internet fad? I've personally been doing it for about 20 years? But I only have a post count of 70 or so...so what do I know?
Old 10-13-2019, 08:34 AM

Cars, trucks, bikes, houses, barns, paintings, sculptures, razors, guns, you name it. People restore old stuff. Restorations are restorations. Some of them increases in value, some of them do not. People do it for a variety of reasons.

Jim
Old 10-13-2019, 11:29 AM

I have a Beretta Garand PB 29 and all the parts appear to be original and correct--except for the bolt. It has a Breda bolt.

But every other last part is stamped PB.

I could just get a Beretta bolt and install it. But my heart is not in it.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:13 AM

Given a choice in buying a "from the depot" rifle as it came from the military and a "corrected" rifle, I would nearly always choose the "from the depot" rifle. I use mine, and frankly have deep concerns when barrels, bolts and op rids are swapped out.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:46 AM

Got a Service grade special and 3 super nice service grade garands and a beautiful grade 1 barreled receiver back in 2012 and got lucky and able to swap the stock from one service grade with the correct stock, stock metal, and screws to put on what looks like an all correct, original 1955, (my birth year)that is appears to be an unfired Greek Air Force return for my newest safe queen. Don't think I'll luck out like that ever again.

Last edited by rrob; 10-14-2019 at 06:54 AM.