Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2019, 09:23 PM

Default HRA 4.66M Garand

FWIW - I recently, with poster PH68’s help, picked up this HRA 46611xx Garand at the south store. I posted some information on the store weekend report, but I thought others may find it interesting. I’m new to Garands and since the purchase have researched early HRAs. Seems like things had not settled out and differences have been noted in which parts were used in the early days. Hopefully this is an interesting data point for HRA experts. I have made no changes to this gun.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...pballoV23AmoU0

All of the parts seem to match well in color. It has the backwards 3 ampersand. It has a HRA N trigger group with a HRA 5546008 hammer, HRA safety with a no wing plunger. HRA elevation sight, DRC windage. D6528287 HRA U bolt.

The HRA barrel (in the white) is dated 2/54. Gas cylinder and screw seem to be HRA. The op rod is a 6535382 SA, which would not be correct even considering early HRAs used war-time SA op rods. It has a CMP stock.

Overall, a very nice gun that I’m happy to own.

Last edited by Plantnut; 10-13-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:49 AM

Wouldn't a HRA )-( trigger group housing be correct for a 4.66? I believe so, either way nice find and cudos to PH68 for all his wonderful reports. I've been to the north store 3x and south store 4x but never aquired a win-13
Old 10-14-2019, 10:09 AM

Great score!!!!! A 4.66 HRA is a great addition to any collection.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:52 PM

You may appreciate my old thread.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=218036
Old 10-14-2019, 06:52 PM

I'm no expert but I will throw out my opinion on this rifle. I own two
early 4.66 HRAs and have done a lot of reading about the early HRAs.

The unique thing about this rifle is the barrel. An HRA this early should not have a barrel dated later than 3-53 or 4-53. The 54 dated barrel might explain why the rifle has a "N" trigger group and not an "H". Most early HRAs also had a very early SA or WRA op rod catches.

My theory is that for some reason this early receiver was not assembled until 1954. I guess there is a chance that the rifle was rebarreled later with a 54 HRA barrel but I doubt it.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:18 PM

I have 4663730 and 4663731.

Both have HRA 4-53 barrels
Both have Hart Trigger Housings with -9 SA Hammers
Both have modified SA -9 op rods
Both have "backwards 3 " ampersand in "H&R"

One has ordnance wheel stock, the other a 3/8" DAS.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCASSIDY View Post
I have 4663730 and 4663731.

Both have HRA 4-53 barrels
Both have Hart Trigger Housings with -9 SA Hammers
Both have modified SA -9 op rods
Both have "backwards 3 " ampersand in "H&R"

One has ordnance wheel stock, the other a 3/8" DAS.
According to my research, these are 'correct' original specs
Old 10-14-2019, 08:13 PM

From what I have been reading I too wondered about the 1954 barrel on a 4.66 HRA, but figuring out Garands is still somewhat smoke and mirrors for me. :>)

The wear and color on the barrel seems consistent with the rest of the gun -i.e. worn under the op rod. Same for the trigger group. It is a HRA N, not the HRA Hart trigger housing like it is supposed to be, yet all parts appear to be HRA, same color, buttermilk finish on the safety, etc. Maybe it is luck that the HRA Hart trigger group was swapped out for a HRA N trigger group, or, maybe the receiver was stuck in the bottom of the parts bin for a few months???

The trigger housing and barrel date are not consistent with what the book says should be on a 4.66 HRA, yet the overall consistency of the parts is intriguing, interesting to me. The gun is speaking to me and saying not to swap out anything except for the CMP stock.

Fishbot - thanks for the old thread link.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:58 PM

What you don't understand is how mass production is implemented. When receivers were found to be out of tolerance or a missed operation was detected by inspectors along the assembly line, that receiver was put aside until there were enough receivers needing 'rework' to be economical to rework them. It wasn't sent out for repair right away. There were about 152 operations to make a receiver and not all receivers had them done or correctly the first time.

Gathering enough receivers needing 'rework' could take some weeks or months which could put all these receivers out of linear ascension to barrel dates. If barrel proof marks correspond with the techniques each manufacturer used then it's probably what happened. The quantities of these receivers is unknown by percentages but it wasn't enough to put a dent in production particularly at HRA.

This has all been identified throughout M1 production with all manufacturers from WW2 until the 1950's duration of production.

It was also SA's practice to lay aside a small unknown percentage of receivers aside from time-to-time during WW2 in the event of a steel shortage or other unknown delays. About every 6 months these receivers were released and built into rifles. What do you think barrel dates are going to be? Certainly not 'correct' by any 'book' I know of. What would you say to small blocks of high 2.8 - 2.9 M receivers having 6 and 7-45 barrel dates with NFR stock? All wrong? Guess again............

There is also a small but defined HRA block in the 4.66 range with 2-55 LMR barrels. Guess what - 'floor sweep' with all OEM barrels.

Receivers weren't lined up like duck pins in neat little rows with their neat and 'by the book' barrel dates falling into nice little consecutive linear serial numbers and barrel dates.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:03 PM

I always love when Rolling Thunder puts things into the realities of mass manufacturing.