Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2011, 04:47 PM

Default Forge markings on small parts?

I was always a bit intimidated by the Garand trigger group. The fat main spring and assemblage of parts looked like something that if I could manage to get it apart without shooting parts across the room (or putting an eye out), getting it back together would prove even more of a feat. Armed with the directions on the CMP website and the desire to accomplish something in my boredom on a day off, I popped the groups on my HRA SG Special from two years ago and CMP SA Special. A couple minutes later, the assembled groups were now piles of parts and I didn't even break a sweat. Shame on me for not having faith that John C. Garand could engineer something so complicated to be so simple.

While I had my CMP Springfield Special Grade apart, I noticed this marking on the trigger:

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/x...e/DSCN0991.jpg

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/x.../DSCN09912.jpg

I know there are a lot of manufacturer stamps out there, but this rough marking peaked my curiosity, since I personally have never seen anything like it. Though that isn't saying much. I darn near overlooked the rough "56" thinking it was just a casting imperfection that took a numerical shape. I'm just curious as to who made it and when.

To finish the earlier story, both trigger groups went back together without a hitch. My hand is a bit sore from the strong grip required to compress the spring and get the trigger pin back in, but at least I feel accomplished.

Thanks for reading, and any info on the trigger..

Dave
Old 01-24-2011, 05:02 PM

Nothing special, forging marks, meaning unknown
Old 01-24-2011, 05:11 PM

As I understand it, indicates a WW II Springfield part.

"Life is Good!"
Old 01-24-2011, 06:54 PM

You'll find those same numbers on many Springfield parts besides triggers; including bullet guide, follower arms and trigger guards. It is just a forging number code and has no relevant meaning.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:00 PM

There was a thread on these markings , in relation to triggers, on the old forum. It was found that SA used triggers with these markings in the post-war period. There were enough verified correct rifles with these triggers to establish post-war use.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:06 PM

But werent they actually WWII triggers that may have carried over as there sure are alot of Correct Post War Garands without forge marked triggers??
Old 01-24-2011, 08:27 PM

Orlando:

I wish my search skills were better than they are. I recall this topic started because of a correct post-war SA with the forging marks.
This brought out a number of correct rifles with those marks. It was believed SA used old dies to make the triggers. If anyone can search the old forum I'm sure the info would be welcome. There were a number of "old" members who gave an excellent discussion.

Shake Rag

Last edited by Shake Rag; 01-24-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:33 PM

Alot of good information got lost when the change was made to the "new" forum. To bad
Old 01-25-2011, 09:19 AM

I have seen these forging marks on both WW-II and post war correct grade Springfield M1's. It was believed at one time that these forging marks were ONLY on WW-II M1's. However there are just too many post war original correct grades and collector grade M1's with these forging marks on them to make this statement true. Make a note and change your books where it says "forging marks on the trigger are only found on WW-II M1's".
Old 10-13-2011, 11:32 AM

Default Follower arm question

I have a HRA field grade mixmaster, #5586127, that has an assortment of late parts. The only one that seemed a little different is the follower arm, which has '2 S.' , and then upside down, '95'. And, this is not stamped on the piece, but seems to have been forged on it. Maybe that's not the way to describe it. Let me just post a couple photos to show what it looks like.

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/...llowerArm2.jpg

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/...llowerArm1.jpg

I'm admittedly a newbie, so I may be talking about something that's quite common - I just don't remember any discussions about markings that weren't stamped on a part rather than whatever this might be called. I'm happy this forum exists so that at least I have a group on knowledgable people to ask.

Keith Peterson