• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AngryDoug
    • Mar 2018

IHC Drill Rifle

Listing #4430

The description says that the rifle has not been demilled to BATFE standards. Could I assume that the receiver is serviceable? Nothing else has been welded? Op Rod, Bolt, etc.?
  • Mike in NC
    • Oct 2009

The front of the bolt face was welded. The chamber of the barrel was welded full. I would be concerned about how much heat went into the front of the receiver when that barrel chamber was welded shut. In my book, that is a lot different that a small tack weld between the barrel and the receiver.

Without any additional pictures is it hard to tell how much might be welded.
    Buyer / Seller Feedback link:
    https://forums.thecmp.org/showthread...ght=Mike+in+NC

Comment

• AngryDoug
      • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Mike in NC View Post
      In my book, that is a lot different that a small tack weld between the barrel and the receiver.
      That's good information. I wasn't sure how the demilling effort effects the rifle and now I understand how the welding can damage the metallurgy of the receiver such that it is no longer serviceable.

Comment

• 5150thSMU
        • Dec 2017

Even the Army has different definitions of what a de-milled firearm is.
        While at the new US Army Infantry Museum at Fort Benning last week (great museum by the way!) the many weapons on display have a small note at the bottom of the description saying how the weapon on display was de-milled and non operable.
        When I asked the museum personnel what was done they told me the firing pins were either removed or cut short.
        Obviously the CMP weapons have suffered a harsher degree of being de-milled but just found it interesting that the museum weapons could actually be returned to firing condition with the replacement of a single part.

Comment

• col b
          • Feb 2010

Seems to me that any significant heat transfer to the receiver would manifest into a discoloration of the original park and/or if the temper was altered, there would be a distinguishing "discoloration" of a subsequent park similar to the annealed heels on some Garands. I have removed the barrels from 4 of these receivers and reparked them. No change in color except the lower tack weld is stainless and will not accept park. But, having said that, it really doesn't make any sense to buy something like this to shoot. Better to buy a RG/FG, repark, replace stock and barrel it if necessary. On the drill, You will have to cut the barrel off, cut off the gas plug, lock and gas cylinder (ruins them), the bolt face is welded. Some have a stainless spot weld in the oprod channel. By the time you purchase and replace all of that, you will have a lot of money in a rifle that will always be a drill receiver.

Comment

• Ohio Don
            • Jan 2014

Not really enough photos to tell about this rifle. Presentation rifles I have received have not had welded gas cylinder/gc lock, or lock screw. Welds on the barrel to receiver varied from hardly any to 1/2 the way around. Bolts you toss. Barrels you toss. No welds in the op rod channels. Now a true drill rifle from the CMP is a different story. It likely will have a welded gas cylinder assembly and could have a weld in the op rod channel. Some of the barrel welds to receivers look like the welder just threw the weld at the barrel and hoped it stuck all the way to " I'll burn this one in so deep that it goes into the bore." You can look at the receiver on the presentation ones and see how much heating was done by the discolorations of the park job. Remember, even SA did welding on the receivers and in some cases, built the fronts back up by adding metal to them. Each receiver is different.

US Army Transportation and Medical Corps Museums Life member

Comment

• Jonah
              • Mar 2016

I have personally witnessed an M1 drill that was barrel to receiver welded nearly half way around with barrel seal welded shut, hardness test on the barrel ring of receiver to within 1-2 grains of original hardness specs.

Comment

Working...
              X