Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2018, 08:45 AM

Default Austrian 7.62 x 51 Nato

Shot 20 rounds in my BM59, the neck of each round had a 1/4"+ split. Is it the ammo or is the gun? Is it a concern? Thanks, Jim,
Old 07-07-2018, 09:19 AM

Have fired just about any and all types of surplus 7.62mm NATO on the market in a number of different M-1 rifles, some w/ USGI barrels and some with aftermarket barrels. Have not ever had a neck split on the first firing much less twenty rounds in a row. Would suggest you take a look at the shoulder/throat on your rifle. Also, take a look at fired casings that are from a different manufacturer. It is possible this particular lot of ammo has problems or is simply not well suited to your rifle. As to concern ... for me it would be a concern since I like to save brass for handloads. From a safety issues, I don't think it is a problem beyond leaving the chamber a bit dirty. HTH. Sincerely. bruce.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:58 PM

Was this Hirtenberger 7.62X51? If so what year? I have fired a lot of it with the 1975 and 1980 head stamps in various rifles with no problems. I have used it in bolt guns, an M1 Garand and various SAI M1A's and have had no issues at all.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the reply. I will look at them and let you know the lot etc. tomorrow. I am more concerned about the safety of firing the ammo then anything else since I don't reload. Thanks, Jim
Old 07-08-2018, 07:33 AM

I have not shot any of the 1983 Hirtenberger 7.62X51, but I have read that there were some corrosion issues with that year headstamp.

I am hoping it is the ammo and not something wrong with your rifle.