Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2020, 09:46 PM

That is a pretty worn muzzle, No Way that gages a 1 unless the muzzle is deformed giving a false reading.
Whoever inspected it just stuck a MW gage in it and didn't visually inspect muzzle for damage .

Send it back they will fix it.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lite-box View Post
That is a pretty worn muzzle, No Way that gages a 1 unless the muzzle is deformed giving a false reading.
Whoever inspected it just stuck a MW gage in it and didn't visually inspect muzzle for damage .

Send it back they will fix it.
I agree with lite box . For a service grade rifle that is the worst looking muzzle I ever saw. I'd call customer service and they will probably make it right. That should be a rack grade!!!!
Old 01-08-2020, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1garand1055 View Post
I agree with lite box . For a service grade rifle that is the worst looking muzzle I ever saw. I'd call customer service and they will probably make it right. That should be a rack grade!!!!
I looked at the pics. as well, and to me, it looked like it could be as bad, or worse than the worst of my Field Grade muzzles. Since someone else noticed the same thing, I feel more confident that I was not missing something and that my judgement was correct.
Springfield Armory 5,940,259, 5,840,184, 4,238,435 and 2,023,912.
Harrington & Richardson 5,549,399.

Words that are always found together:
USA: Liquor Store and Robbed, Pressure Cooker and Explode
Germany:
Air Show and Rammstein

"REPO" M1 Parts: The parts you buy that they come to take back later on.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:13 PM

Exclamation

I suspect your entire problem is the barrel crown and internal muzzle condition. Truthfully, "bad" shape really doesn't describe what I see in the pictures. Miserable maybe? I'm actually surprised it will shoot with any regularity on any position on a target or even hit the paper consistently at 100 yards. Even a muzzle wear gauge won't read accurately in such a barrel. About the best advice I could give you, if you want to retain and shoot that barrel with any "possible" accuracy would be to have the barrel counterbored as the did with Mosin Nagant barrels. Otherwise, rebarrel it.

I bought a CMP Winchester when they first sold them years ago. It had a seriously dinged crown that protruded into the bore. It would shoot one or two rounds in a 3-5" shotgun group then throw one or two 8-10" away to the left, sometimes more. There was no consistency where the rounds impacted. I took it to a local gunsmith and had the barrel crowned deep enough and that rifle became my back up match rifle it shot so well. But, what I see inside the muzzle of your barrel is far worse than what that barrel of mine looked like.

Note: On that barrel of mine it measured MW-1 before the crowning and MW-2+ after. The ding was restricting proper insertion of the MW gauge.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:30 PM

I sent an email to CMP customer service. I’ll see what they say since this rifle is a relatively recent purchase.

Anyway for anyone who is interested, when I test fired it two days ago I tested at 50 yards so I could get all of the shots to show on paper. As expected the error was half of what it was at 100 yards but relatively consistent (5-6 inches left &5-6 inches low).

Here is a relatively clean target that I marked up so you can see the sight settings for each of the shots. When corrected it was 10 clicks right windage and 20+ clicks of elevation on this target:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183082.../shares/m8kj1z

While I only fired three shots at this target, the shots consistently impacted in that area on the lower left on all targets shot two days ago. Typical group size at 50 yards was all shots 1 inch or so. 100 yards 2-3 inches.

Additionally, the target posted here was fired with the rifle in a alternate stock. Point of impact was not changed from the original stock

Last edited by JLaughlin; 01-08-2020 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:17 PM

OP:
Did you ever shoot this in another stock?
Just curious.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
OP:
Did you ever shoot this in another stock?
Just curious.
Yes that target posted above was in a different stock. Point of impact did not change with the different stock.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:32 PM

Google Garand accurizing.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:58 PM

3 hits in 2-3 inches gives some hope it might shoot OK. get the crown cleaned up and try it again at 100 yd. This time run a few clips through it. If the rifle is taken out of the stock, allow at least 1 clip to settle it back in the stock. Shoot a couple groups with a full clip to see what you have for accuracy.

Tags
accuracy, crown damage, garand, impacting left