Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2019, 01:44 PM

The CMP, NRA and believe it or not AR15.com all list places to shoot on their websites, You might find a connection there.
I know that our club (in Ohio) always welcomes new and youth shooters. One problem is finding people interested in running a given program. We do sponsor the county 4H clubs at our facility. We have the insurance in place to protect the club and membership. You would need to take an instructors course in order to insure you are trained to run an educational program.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:07 AM

The club I belong to has indoor air rifle for the youth over the winter.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:07 PM

Our club dropped all youth match fees to five dollars for all youth under 18. We have two set of parents where all four family members shoot our CMP matches and it was getting pretty expensive for them. We put a CMP clinic on every March including emphasis on SAFETY and FUN and have a 30 round GSM match the following weekend so not just the youth but anyone can try it. The club bought 3 field grade rifles to loan to the first time shooters for free but they have to buy our ball ammo. We get about 70% of the attendees to buy rifles and shoot matches with us. We put an experienced shooter with them all the way through the match. We get some father son and daughters and family. It is still tough to bring in youth. The Rimfire match and 4H have helped with that a lot the last couple years. Some of the best instruction you can get is the GSM class the CMP puts on. I wish I would have started earlier too.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:41 AM

I would like to see the CMP build a range in each state centrally located and geared towards junior shooting programs. My state has lots of abandoned gravel pits in rural areas that are perfect for turning into ranges. State association's could be involved in providing volunteers with the building and funding. Many people just don't have the time or money to go to ranges a thousand miles away. These could be basic at first and grow from there.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:55 AM

Default observation

That would be great but quite an expense. It would be nice if all the clubs would jump on board and sponsor CMP matches and youth events. The club I belong to holds many CMP events from air Pistol/Rifle through NRA and CMP service rifle. We have many matches all through the summer and indoor during winter. The club also has a great youth program. Biggest problem is getting the kids to it. We had a CMP rimfire match last Saturday with 21 people shoot it and only 5 youth. The air rifle/pistol matches do better. We do have several youth shoot the GSM matches but still not as many as we would like. My grandson likes to shoot the Modern Military but I'm afraid he has run into girls and trucks. It was well advertised locally and on the CMP web. Any ideas on how to get more youth to attend please let me know.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:06 AM

The CMP has quite a few Millions from the rifle sales and my thoughts are that a lot of young adults own AR's but don't have a range to go to. Local ads for a clinic/ Turkey shoot with prizes introduction to bring them out to give it a try. If anything will end marksmanship it is a lack of ranges and being too expensive for the average person
Old 02-11-2019, 10:13 AM

Default observation

You do have a point on the ranges.