Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2018, 01:11 PM

Hmm, I just throw them in my Lyman vibratory tumbler with corn cob media and Dillon polish.

Cleans them. And is less work.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:58 AM

1/4 tsp. lemi-shine along with 1/2 tsp Dawn works very well for my purposes. I am currently using a Frankford dryer for my brass. Graduated from using the oven.
Gave up on the vibratory tumblers and cob and walnut media years ago.
I really like the way Berdan primer pockets are cleaned using ss and water tumbling.
RVN 67-68
Old 10-25-2018, 02:31 PM

Funny thing is, I don't make any special effort to clean the primer pockets, and it seems that each firing cleans out the excess, and it stays about the same amount there.

And I have pistol brass that has been loaded 10s of times.

If YOU want to go through all the extra work to have shinier brass, great. I would rather go shooting.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:36 PM

I got a wet tumbler with SS pins for Christmas and it does a great job. The wet method is a little more work but seems to clean the primer pockets and the
"inside" of the cases. I have been thru about 4 vibratory/corn cob units that did well on the outside of the cases only. Not sure if cleaning the inside of a case is really that important but the wet tumbler method sure is quieter!
Old 01-24-2019, 02:04 AM

It is my understanding that Citric Acid is the active ingredient in Lemi Shine. I use Koolaid, its mostly citric acid and it smells good. You know the kind that comes in the little envelopes for pennies a pack.

Like MrHat102 i toss my wet tumbled, clean brass into a vibratory tumbler with corn cob media and a half cap of NuFinish. I used to hate having to wait for the wet brass to dry and then tarnish in a week. Now I use the vibratory tumbler for 20-30 min. The brass is dry, treated so it stays bright, and its ready to load.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:31 AM

Yep, I need to get a wet tumbler. Read an article years ago in Precision Shooting and they brought up the point that removal of the debris from the inside of the case was the reason for cleaning. It seems that when a round is fired it leaves glass particles from the primer inside the case and it's not good for barrel life to let it accumulate. Also the "carbon" has a detrimental effect on bullet pull. Just a thought for you. Good shooting.