Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2019, 11:11 AM

Hi Griff557,
Coincidentally - I am in the process of listing for sale several SMLE's No. 1 (& other rifles) on this forum. I debated putting them on one of the other auction & sales sites, but would rather sell to members of this forum that could use them for CMP matches. I have a C&R FFL & if one does not have a C&R, then we would have to go thru a FFL on your end. One of the SMLE's is Australian, others are English & one is Indian. The No. 1's & 4's from India that I have, have actually been in a nice condition & accurate. Hope to have pictures & listings by this weekend.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:02 PM

Some No. 4 rifles marked RFI have been especially nice and I always wondered whether they were actually "English Made" marked RFI by the Indians at Ishapore.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:13 PM

India never manufactured the No.4 but they did refurb a lot and the refurb process usually removed the old markings. Pakistan on the other hand manufactured both No.4 Mk1 and Mk2 rifles.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:17 PM

No wonder my #4 RFI is so nice!
Old 01-23-2019, 07:54 PM

Smellys are an addiction. They are covered with different stamps, cartouches, etc.. try to get one with matching numbers on bolt and receiver. Like it has been said check the bore. Most of these things have been rebuilt a bunch of times. Lots of good books and some dedicated Brit rifle sites out there.

I am fixing up a 1907 Smelly right now. I lucked into it at a gun show. What really caught my eye and opened my wallet quickly was the multitude of original parts... actual bone buttons on the elevation ladder, the original windage adjusting rear sight slopes ears on the rear sight protectors, volley front sight (looking for rear now), etc.... most of that stuff went away with the rebuilds.

I have found like Ceresco said... starting loads and light bullets don’t beat the rifle up or you up and can be pretty accurate.

Fun rifles to play around with and collect. I think you will enjoy it.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:36 PM

I have two of the No.1 MkIII in .410. The one I have in front of me now is a "Lithgow/ SHT. LE/III*/1920" {Lithgow and id in shield, 1920 outside of shield on right side. RFI, .410 and 1948 on left}
Converted by RFI to .410 smooth bore in 1948 to single shot by placing a wooden block and steel plate in mag well.
I was finally able to get 8 cases of the ammunition a couple years ago and this rifle has crap accuracy-but is fun to shoot.
*Matching #'s. The Indians considered these to be Guard and Police Rifles. Google "Indian .410 Musket" and links should appear.

Last edited by BobJ50; 01-23-2019 at 08:52 PM. Reason: *Matched
Old 01-23-2019, 08:58 PM

Two US Army Divisions, the 27th (New York) and the 30th (Old Hickory) served with the British and Australians during World War One. They were issued the SMLE No. 1 Mark 3 rifles, along with other British equipment.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twh1997 View Post
Nothing wrong with Indian manufactured No1 Mklll rifles or rifles with wire wrapped forends as they were wrapped as a safety precaution for grenade launching. No idea where the X mark on the bolt head tidbit comes from but if the bolt is matching I wouldn't worry. Nice MkIIIs will run around $350-$450 in good condition but ammo can be pricey and hard to find. Be careful as they are addictive.
Absolutely correct. The Indians didn't have the equipment to make the #4 rifle so when they made the #1 in 7.62x51mm, they used a higher quality steel and tempering process that gave the #1 action the strength it needed to safely use the higher pressure cartridge.

The Brits made the #1 Mk III until at least 1939 as the best cast bullet #1 I ever owned - and I owned a bunch of them - was a 1939 BSA. It was a remarkably accurate rifle with 165 grain cast bullets.