Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstflabn View Post
Bet it's not warm and moist like where the OP usually has his thumb.
Im not sure that is called for...
Old 01-23-2019, 12:47 PM

Never had any of my body get caught when the blot slammed shut, but it always, unless I was very careful, slammed close if the cleaning rod even touch the bolt face.

So I came up with what I called a bolt lock. First model was in brass and a second model made of injected plastic. Both worked, lost $ on both. Sold 39 brass ($17.45) and 21 plastic (12.95).

Most guys thought is was a joke and listed all the things they held the bolt back with, i.e., pipe cleaners, Popsicle sticks, etc. I thought it was funny that these same guys would spend $50-$100 on a cleaning rod but not a few $ on my bolt lock.

LOL, after that I stopped trying to "invent" anything!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5Sr...AA9EC1&index=1

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net
I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA

Last edited by J.R.2009; 01-23-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:15 PM

I've always marveled at how well designed the slide stop is on a carbine. The improved model with a single spring is even more amazing. The carbine is a fantastic piece of industrial art. The only place you can really hurt yourself is when you toss the bolt against a wall in frustration and it flies back and gives you a bloody nose.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHH View Post
I've always marveled at how well designed the slide stop is on a carbine. The improved model with a single spring is even more amazing. The carbine is a fantastic piece of industrial art. The only place you can really hurt yourself is when you toss the bolt against a wall in frustration and it flies back and gives you a bloody nose.

I agree with you. Funny thing, all 13 of my carbines had this bad habit of closing during cleaning if the cleaning rod, brush, patch touched the bolt face. Guess all of mine were well used.

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net
I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 01-23-2019, 01:21 PM

Trying to figure out how to get a carbine thumb? If you have one of those Korean mags with last round holds the bolt open....and you want to close the bolt without removing the magazine you need to push down on the mag follower with your thumb ( or index finger ). That might do it?
Old 01-23-2019, 07:56 PM

J.R. 2009

I watched your YT video. That is a good idea you had. Not only prevents the bolt from slamming shut while cleaning, which is very common to have happen, but I can see that the insert could also catch or collect any solvents or debris that may otherwise collect on your work surface or onto the carbine.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrm View Post
J.R. 2009

I watched your YT video. That is a good idea you had. Not only prevents the bolt from slamming shut while cleaning, which is very common to have happen, but I can see that the insert could also catch or collect any solvents or debris that may otherwise collect on your work surface or onto the carbine.
You guys are cleaning from the muzzle to the breech!!!
Oh no....just kidding I do it too.

I prefer to field strip the carbine when I clean it so the bolt is removed. But I can see your invention would work great if you clean while assembled.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmark View Post
Is it possible to get M1 Carbine thumb??? Has anyone gotten this?

Uhhh...since the M1 rifle is loaded from the top of the magazine by pushing down and the M1 carbine is loaded by pushing a charged magazine up, the answer is "no".

You're more likely to get M1 helmet thumb. I know it's winter and it can get boring, but dang, isn't there a more clever game to play than this?