Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 01:27 PM

Don't let others scare you. If your rifle isn't giving you any problems then don't mess with it. I have one that's probably in the same serial number range as yours (off by maybe 100) and it works fine.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif-Steve View Post
I used to help at the Great Western show in Los Angeles. Fed Ord stuff was mostly junk. We always carried/sold repair parts for Fed Od M14's. Mostly junk, the odd gun worked just fine, good luck with it.
I think you maybe referring to FEDORD M14's that were made of mostly Chinese parts, yes I would concur that those rifles were not good quality.

Come now you can't call USGI parts junk.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:14 PM

Default Fed ord

I have had a FO rifle for about 25 yrs. All GI parts, probaly had 3000 or 4000 rounds through it with absolutely no problems other than replacing the barrel.
In addition I have a match SA and an Armscorp match and they don't shoot any better than my FO. I agree with most if your not having problems shoot and enjoy. Have the feeling that the people doing the bad mouthing do not know what their taking about and probley don't even own a M14.
My 2cents worth
Don
Old 07-13-2012, 11:00 PM

Guys, Thanks for all your responses. Certainly not the responses I expected based on the numerous previous posts. At this time, I have decided to keep the FO rifle "as is". Will try to get out and send some lead downrange.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:52 AM

Before you shoot it, I would suggest having the headspace checked. Doc brought one of his by here a few months back, and the headspace was 1.627

He had been shooting it like that, but had ejection problems. It is dangerous to be so tight. His was all G.I. parts too. It had no contact on the left lug of the bolt and receiver either. I lapped the right lug until it contacted on the left, then lapped both sides till even. His headspace is now minimum, but I didn't want to lap anymore than absolutely necessary.