Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg33 View Post
The welds in the OP's picture look very visible. Now welded receivers have "historical significance". A P.T. Barnum moment is at hand.
With any luck, someone will start a receiver strength/durability argument about SAI and reference the M14 heel JRAs in retort.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:46 PM
Banned

Hey guys why all the negativity? And yes with the heel from a real USGI M14 there really is a historical connection and thus part of history.

These receivers are structurally safe, it has been done before successfully by several entities. Laugh if you like but the fact remains these JRA receivers are viable.

Good luck with your SAI. rifles as for me, I can do better.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:34 AM

Not negative at all. If you like welded receivers that's cool. This has all been done before. Hahn machine and mks come to mind. Here is a little bit of history for the prospective new purchasers.

http://www.ca6.uscourts.gov/opinions...6a0103p-06.pdf
Old 01-27-2015, 08:26 AM
Banned

That has been cleared through ATF by JRA, a document stating this will be provided. The area that held the go fast parts was separated from the heel and thus could never be converted, JRA explains this in detail if you call them.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:18 AM

Both MKS and Hahn machine had the BATFE blessing. If you actually read the court document I linked you will see they (mks-hahn) removed the go fast parts also. But hey, federal forfeiture lawsuits against individuals are no big deal, right? Carry on.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:58 AM

The part that confuses me in how theses are legal is the serial number attached to the heal is a full auto serial number and goes along with the once a full auto always a full auto law. This is no different then welding up a demilled reciever and milling the bracket off and welding up the notch. But somehow this is ok
Old 01-27-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg33 View Post
Both MKS and Hahn machine had the BATFE blessing. If you actually read the court document I linked you will see they (mks-hahn) removed the go fast parts also. But hey, federal forfeiture lawsuits against individuals are no big deal, right? Carry on.
Granted I'm old and forgetful, but my recollection was that MKS left the full auto lug and switch in place but welded them inoperable--that was the reason for the argument that they could be converted back to full auto in less than 8 hours. Also, I think MKS believed the Hahn ruling was a blanket approval for all M14 restorations so they didn't pursue their own, but the ATF disagreed.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:25 PM

You had to go and show this... Just what I didn;t want to see... a smaller back account. Now I need to find a winnie barrel
Old 01-27-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloreman View Post
The part that confuses me in how theses are legal is the serial number attached to the heal is a full auto serial number and goes along with the once a full auto always a full auto law. This is no different then welding up a demilled reciever and milling the bracket off and welding up the notch. But somehow this is ok
Because once destroyed, the receiver portions are considered just scrap metal. They're are no longer machine guns because they've been destroyed. As long as you don't make something illegal, you can weld them back together. Rewelds are popular with milled receiver AK builds, since you get to keep the original markings and keep the original headspacing and barrel timing for a fraction of the cost of having a new receiver milled with the correct markings and contours. For legality, builders remove the full auto features before they start welding the pieces back together. If they're using original receiver sections, then they must first weld over the auto sear pin hole and the auto sear notch. If they're using new made "reweld plates," then that's not an issue.

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/29-...-got-em-6.html

As far as the ATF is concerned with these JRA receiver, they are new made JRA receivers. JRA is free to assign their own serial number to the receiver they make. It just so happens that the serial number is one that was also at one point on a real M14 and that instead of engraving them, JRA welds a piece of scrap metal to the receiver that already had their desired serial number.

Last edited by ken792; 01-27-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:49 PM

copyright

Last edited by M14; 01-31-2015 at 07:36 AM.
Closed Thread