Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2018, 12:42 AM

Default 308 to 6.5 Creedmoor

Has anyone resized 308 to 6.5 Creedmoor and if so, what problems if any resulted or what might I encounter if I did?

Just looking for some advice here.

Regards,
Silent Rock
Old 04-17-2018, 09:40 AM

Pretty difficult because the 6.5 is larger diameter in the web area. I am sure it could be done but not worth it in the long run.
Also, if you really want to shoot 6.5 you are much better off buying new brass that uses a small rifle primer. Large rifle primers on 6.5 tend to enlarge the pockets in short order.

Semper Fi
Art
Old 04-17-2018, 11:00 AM

There's plenty of info if you GOOGLE it and not very much of it good. I believe Starline has new in stock and it's pretty good brass.

Forming will probably involve neck turning and definitely if you try to form military brass. I did it for 260 Remington (essentially the same) and some commercial was fine but all the 7.62 NATO brass had to be outside neck turned.

Last edited by lapriester; 04-17-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:31 AM

Thanks for sharing. I will let it rest.

Silent Rock
Old 04-17-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
There's plenty of info if you GOOGLE it and not very much of it good. I believe Starline has new in stock and it's pretty good brass.

Forming will probably involve neck turning and definitely if you try to form military brass. I did it for 260 Remington (essentially the same) and some commercial was fine but all the 7.62 NATO brass had to be outside neck turned.
rgr on the Starline. Just got in 500 to but in the stash along with my normal Laupa.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to milprileb

Hold it, the train left the station on me..... 6.5 Creedmoor brass with large rifle primers is problematic ? First I heard of this but please confirm if this is established fact and not brand specific.

I really don't want to get into Discovery Learning by buying wrong brass.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-19-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
Hold it, the train left the station on me..... 6.5 Creedmoor brass with large rifle primers is problematic ? First I heard of this but please confirm if this is established fact and not brand specific.

I really don't want to get into Discovery Learning by buying wrong brass.

Thanks in advance
Fact. 2 or 3 loadings using lrg primer brass on 6.5 Creedmoor and the pockets are trash. Sm rfl pockets and some with bolt rifles are getting 15 - 20 or more.

I was shooting Hornady commercial and reloading the FC brass that it used with Lrg rfl pockets and found loose primers after only 1 loading on some.
Switched to Lapua with small pockets and have loaded some 10 and 12 times with no problems. Can't vouch for anything other than Starline has the sm pocket brass available. Got 500 in but keeping it until my Lapua bites the dust. Most of my loads are mid range by the way no where near max.
I am getting ready to order 500 .308 casings with small primer pockets. Ignition is not a problem.

Semper Fi
Art

Last edited by nf1e; 04-19-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:46 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
Fact. 2 or 3 loadings using lrg primer brass on 6.5 Creedmoor and the pockets are trash. Sm rfl pockets and some with bolt rifles are getting 15 - 20 or more.

I was shooting Hornady commercial and reloading the FC brass that it used with Lrg rfl pockets and found loose primers after only 1 loading on some.
Switched to Lapua with small pockets and have loaded some 10 and 12 times with no problems. Can't vouch for anything other than Starline has the sm pocket brass available. Got 500 in but keeping it until my Lapua bites the dust. Most of my loads are mid range by the way no where near max.
I am getting ready to order 500 .308 casings with small primer pockets. Ignition is not a problem.

Semper Fi
Art
The FC is always a problem. My only experiences with FC brass in any caliber is that it's crap and the pockets expand and it's useless after one reload and sometimes after initial firing. Any FC brass I ever pick up I throw away. Don't judge large primer brass by FC because it's junk right from the get go.

With most other 6.5 CM large primered brass you won't have many issues unless you are prone to loading very hot. With standard and reasonable loads you can do fine with it. I'm not one to use small primer brass with larger body cases. You CAN have ignition problems with them in cold weather with certain powders. In the case of Starline their flash hole is larger than most who make SP brass...except maybe Lapua which is out of my price range for the quantity I shoot.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
The FC is always a problem. My only experiences with FC brass in any caliber is that it's crap and the pockets expand and it's useless after one reload and sometimes after initial firing. Any FC brass I ever pick up I throw away. Don't judge large primer brass by FC because it's junk right from the get go.

With most other 6.5 CM large primered brass you won't have many issues unless you are prone to loading very hot. With standard and reasonable loads you can do fine with it. I'm not one to use small primer brass with larger body cases. You CAN have ignition problems with them in cold weather with certain powders. In the case of Starline their flash hole is larger than most who make SP brass...except maybe Lapua which is out of my price range for the quantity I shoot.
Agree on FC brass being junk from the get go. Just happens to be in use everywhere.
Primary reason to go to small primers in not just to extend the brass life, but the long range boys have been using it for better accuracy. SD can be cut by 25 to 35%. I do use mostly Lapua for 6.5.
My favorite for .308 is Berdan primed DAG or MEN. Been using that for years with no problems.
My precision bolt rifles get what I can feed them . Berger bullets and lot of Varget recently.
Got around to ordering the 500 .308 Palma cases from Starline this afternoon to add to the Lapua stash.

Last edited by nf1e; 04-19-2018 at 06:20 PM.