Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtC View Post
The stocks were actually buried. They are propped up against the tree just for the photograph. I believe the test was conducted to simulate hastily cached weapons, as was often done in the Pacific during WWII.
That's not really adding value to the "test".

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 11-10-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtC View Post
The stocks were actually buried. They are propped up against the tree just for the photograph. I believe the test was conducted to simulate hastily cached weapons, as was often done in the Pacific during WWII.
That's even worse for a poor soldier.
RVN 67-68
Old 11-10-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headspace View Post
Putting all difference's aside between the M14 / M16. Did the fiberglass stock make any difference in the performance / durability of the M14 in Vietnam? was it to little to late and when did fiberglass stocks become standard in production of new rifles coming off the assembly line.
Wondering if it would have made a difference in the jungle environment instead of walnut or birch stocks from the get go in the early days of the war?? Often wondered about this.....
Thanks
David
Hi David. Good questions. First off, your first sentence, you can't put the differences aside, .....because there is no comparison. Ha !

The M16's were junk and the M14's were gold.

Yes, they did make a difference in durability, but not performance. They would have made a big difference in performance if they had made the front end of the fiberglass stocks fatter and stiffer, to not flex and throw shots off. If they held a steady draw pressure, they would have been more accurate by far.

We found out later from some very enterprising younger guys, that the fiberglass stocks made great shooters when the front ends were stiffened with carbon fiber arrow shafts or flat material, and mopped in with fiberglass resin and cloth.
I believe it would have made a huge difference if this was discovered way back then, but it wasn't.

The majority I saw were Navy rifles with fiberglass stocks .....and among smaller, specialized units and some PCF or swift boat operations. Didn't see but one on a PBR and saw several on SOC-R crew members and operators. Saw several with barrels hacked off with hack saws and filed down, with selector switches in place on those boats. Piles of magazines too, which was rare back then. You were lucky if you could get 3, let alone 5 for yourself. 2 in 2 double pouches and one in the weapon. Personally, I liked the single mag pouch.

One thing I know for sure, you don't want to ride on a swift boat or any other boat, near Tiger Island. Charlie owned the water thereabouts. Some of the most horrendous firefights ever witnessed happened on those river operations too.
If you want to know what it really looked like, watch Apocalypse Now. Best depiction I ever saw of the actual reality back then.

The M14's and 1911 handguns were often used after all ammo had been expended from the dual .50's front and rear, and the mortars and M60 were empty. No time to reload, or get shot trying. Just have to haul butt out of there to reload, and go back. Those suckers would run like 30 knots, which was quick for the time era.

Anyway, I digress....apologies.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:45 AM

One of the nicest attributes of the USGI fiberglass stocks it their ability to accept customization.

RVN 67-68
Old 11-11-2018, 11:02 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to me109g4

I like it,, especially the camo job, nicely done