Old 11-08-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
ndi?
nondestructive inspection
Old 11-09-2018, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
Do you have a welded heel M14? If you did, you would have said letter.

If you are interested in owning one, do a search. Even on the CMP forum this has been discussed, answered, explained and beat to death a few times,

These aren't for everyone, but the fill a niche in the market, and have good history of quality and satisfied buyers, as well as ATF approval.
Once you look at the facts it's easy to see why these are safe to own.

If you think welding the back end of an M14 to a new build front half is a bad idea, you would be correct. These are simply not that.
JH
Making an awful lot of claims there. I still haven't seen, or heard of anyone receiving a letter of approval. Have you? Please post it if you have it.

The only thing I agree with is the bad idea part, then you write that these aren't that. What exactly are they then?

They are the back end of a previously heat treated piece of receiver, which was handed out with dire warnings about "never" re-heat treating again by the u.s. gov.......then they were annealed (let's hope) and welded to the back of a new receiver front half....THEN, the back piece was re-heat treated!

What's wrong with this picture?
Old 11-09-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14 View Post

They are the back end of a previously heat treated piece of receiver, which was handed out with dire warnings about "never" re-heat treating again by the u.s. gov.......then they were annealed (let's hope) and welded to the back of a new receiver front half....THEN, the back piece was re-heat treated!

What's wrong with this picture?
The welded heels come with a letter
and that makes it allllll better...?
Old 11-09-2018, 09:15 AM

M14, Are you considering having your JRA receiver x-rayed....I suggest a Rockwell test also....you never know what you will discover.....regards....alex
Old 11-10-2018, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC-7 View Post
M14, Are you considering having your JRA receiver x-rayed....I suggest a Rockwell test also....you never know what you will discover.....regards....alex
No, I don't own one and wouldn't own one. No offense to those who do, or will own one.

I just think that if I am going to shoot something welded up, it will be something welded up by me, and the metallurgy studied very well first.....such as an MG34 or a Thompson, Bren, etc.

....and only then, because the government, in all their infinite wisdom (LOL) has forced us to do this by making it the only way that most people can afford to own one of these fine pieces of history.

After that, the first few rounds will be fired using a lanyard line with very heavy cover in front of me. The piece will then be torn down and measured and studied some more, then reassembled for further testing. Some of these test have gone on for years at my place.....before I am fully comfortable firing any of them.....and I certainly will not hand down any of them to anyone without a full set of use instructions and warnings.

Good advice on testing HC-7
Old 11-12-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERE99 View Post
I`ve seen several welded heel M1A/M14 receivers....BUT...how is this legal? Aside from the idiotic "OAMGAAMG" ATF mantra, how can one legally remove the serial number from a receiver and replace it with another? Not to mention the serial number that resides on these receivers is on someone`s DX list as being destroyed? I`d love to have one, just a little skittish after the MKS fiasco.
The manufacturer of the new receiver (in this case, JRA) can do just about anything they want until their new product is documented on the books.

The end-result is a JRA receiver using the original USGI S/N as their own.

Another perspective: instead of engraving or roll-marking a serial number onto their receiver, they're "welding" one on from a USGI de-mill receiver.

Clear as mud?

Last edited by wrwindsor; 11-12-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
nondestructive inspection
I am an NDI guy by trade for the last 20 yrs in the Air Force, before I go on terminal leave this February.

The inspections that I would perform would be magnetic particle inspection, X-ray and maybe ultrasonics.

I would be certain that there would be some type of discontinuities/defects found, but not sure What defects would be dentrimental because Iím not an engineer to determine this as there would be testing for failure.

You would be surprised how many times AF welders fail recertifications every 5 yrs or so, but they do several differ metals as well like titanium, cobalt, magnesium etc. some are definitely tougher than others.

I would like to know as well whatís the guidelines are for these welds? Welds can look pretty on the outside, but underneath there is a lot of stuff happening, especially incomplete penetration. Here are some links for anyone that hasnít seen or heard of this. link to the overview of weld certs and NDI tech is inspecting
https://www.airforce.com/careers/det...ive-inspection. https://www.barksdale.af.mil/News/Ar...certification/

This process on the outside is expensive in terms of NDI inspecting.

Makes me wonder what is performed besides just welding?
Old 11-12-2018, 01:10 PM

None of mine have destructed as of yet.
It would seem to me that there would be very little stress applied to the section of the receiver heel that has been replaced aft of the rear sight. There are a lot of them out there and I have not heard a single report of anything out of the ordinary. Of coarse the bolt is supposed to ricochet off the heel so there would be some stresses, but I believe this has been taken into consideration.

RVN 67-68

Last edited by nf1e; 11-12-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:27 PM

If the heel is the only thing welded, I’m sure it would be fine.

Now if it was welded any where the op rod cycles, there could be problems due to applied stress

But then again, is there applied stress due to the bolt cycling in the heal area?
Old 11-12-2018, 01:48 PM

It’s probably fine, unless you were to shoot thousands of rounds, then I would at minimum clean/degrease entire area and inspect at minimum 10x magnifier.

You would be surprised with a little training how easy mag particle inspection is and equipment can be had used cheap