Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordmm View Post
"need to spread the word"......that is was'nt the bolt.
+1
Old 07-07-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Guess it just goes to show 'ya....There's a first time for everything...
Seems you have issues with reading comprehension. Did I not state that it was possibly due to a non-USGI firing pin in that very post????? And it still does not make sense of the need to lap a firing pin to fit. GI firing pins worked perfectly w/o lapping contacts with the LRB bolt. Did I miss something????
Old 07-07-2012, 08:13 PM

A little more waiting for the facts rather than speculating on possible improprieties seems to be prudent. Some of the comments here should have not been said. No reason for anyone to back peddle if they are factual in their comments.

Why take a chance in tarnishing someone's reputation on mere conjecture or speculation as was done here.

Kinda like newspaper headlines that are incorrect. The retraction is lost way back in a section that nobody reads.

Just my observation.

www.m14br.com
Old 07-07-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
"need to spread the word"......that is was'nt the bolt.
Ted said that some of LRB BOLTS had problems with USGI pins... He said that he had to lap the bolt to fit the pin. In Ted's own words there are problems with some LRB bolts... Are you saying Ted is wrong in his assessment about some of the LRB bolts?

What would you like to to say? Would you like me to forget what Ted said on the other board?

Last edited by spankybear; 07-07-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:34 PM

Gerald Hook Boutin was on the design teams for the US Army AMU for both the National Match M14 and the XM-21 sniper system. I have in my desk blue prints he had made for an improve gas system for the NM M14. He has built thousands, and that's a low ball count, of NM M14's, M1A's and M1 Garands. He's a combat veteran of WWII, Korea and Veit Nam. Two of his tours in Veit Nam he was an instructor for the new XM-21 system. He's a personal friend to both Smith and Reese of Springfield M1A fame. He built many of the early M1A Super Matchs Reese sold in the 80's. He was a personal friend of Capt Leatherwood of the Art I and Art II scopes and name sake for the Leaterwood scope company. Until his heart valve replacement this year he could build two full NM M1's or M14/M1A a day, he's now down to just building one gun a day. That's who Hook is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogtripper View Post
I have no dog in this fight, and have no idea who "Hook" is. I do know that Ted has been doing this quite a long time, and have no reason to doubt his knowledge or integrity.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:53 PM

There was a questrion asked over here http://m14forum.com/m14/117129-new-l...tml#post893299

Does anybody know if LRB bolts are made to USGI spec or not? I find this interesting if they are not.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankybear View Post
Ted said that some of LRB BOLTS had problems with USGI pins... He said that he had to lap the bolt to fit the pin. In Ted's own words there are problems with some LRB bolts... Are you saying Ted is wrong in his assessment about some of the LRB bolts?

What would you like to to say? Would you like me to forget what Ted said on the other board?
Odd that you glossed over him saying there were similar issues with USGI bolts with some chromed pins.

Here is Ted's entire post for clarity. No need to go by your translation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Brown View Post
In assembling hundreds of GI bolts (probaly thousands) and quite a few LRBs, I've found that some chromed firing pins stick and some don't. There are very close tolerances involved. Those that do stick usually stick at the back and can be cleaned up with a little lapping. LRB bolts are held to vary close tolerances and some after market firing pins do stick in them, but I've found most GI pins are OK. If you have a problem with anything LRB makes, just give them a call and they will help.
I would add that JyWolfe posted that after viewing the bolt and pin in question, that the pin was badly out of spec:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jywolfe View Post
Our shop was sent the LRB bolt and firing pin for evaluation. The OP's firing pin was found to be out of spec, with multiple fatal flaws in the tolerances.

Bolt has no defects and both USGI and commercial chrome firing pins we use for builds fit and function to specification in the LRB bolt.

Would we like you to forget?
No.
I think we'd simply like you to cease the dead horse beating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in SC View Post
Gerald Hook Boutin was on the design teams for the US Army AMU for both the National Match M14 and the XM-21 sniper system. I have in my desk blue prints he had made for an improve gas system for the NM M14. He has built thousands, and that's a low ball count, of NM M14's, M1A's and M1 Garands. He's a combat veteran of WWII, Korea and Veit Nam. Two of his tours in Veit Nam he was an instructor for the new XM-21 system. He's a personal friend to both Smith and Reese of Springfield M1A fame. He built many of the early M1A Super Matchs Reese sold in the 80's. He was a personal friend of Capt Leatherwood of the Art I and Art II scopes and name sake for the Leaterwood scope company. Until his heart valve replacement this year he could build two full NM M1's or M14/M1A a day, he's now down to just building one gun a day. That's who Hook is.
Thank you for the information.

Last edited by Fogtripper; 07-08-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:

<snip>

Do you know anything about this here?

http://m14forum.com/m14/117129-new-l...tml#post893299

I would really like to know the answer...
Old 07-08-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankybear View Post
Do you know anything about this here?

http://m14forum.com/m14/117129-new-l...tml#post893299

I would really like to know the answer...
You could simply write a letter to Lou and ask him.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
You could simply write a letter to Lou and ask him.
I am in total agreement with this one. Write a letter, get an answer and post a copy so everyone can do their own translation.
Semper Fi
Art