Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
My experience as well. My latest Fulton required no lapping, perfect fit.
Me too, 2 for 2 on FA receivers. Very good contact on both lugs right out of the wrapper.
NRA - XTC HP Expert
16 down / 14 to go!
Old 01-31-2014, 09:23 AM

Thanks guys. that is correct on the latest Fultons, that's why I said in most cases.

I placed a phone call to Clint Jr. almost two years ago about the lug issue. After that call, I have never seen another Fulton that was bad. They immediately reworked the casting dies and have been good to go. I just got tired of lapping for an hour to get receivers to work so I called him. What a great guy he and his Father are.

I actually came across one new SAI receiver that was good with a TRW bolt, although this particular bolt was long on the lugs and more difficult to find.

Believe it or not, the old 762mmf's bolts were good in most commercial receivers for lug contact. James River Armory is using the same bolt maker so they should be good to go. I can say the same about Mark and his crew at JRA, they are splendid folks to deal with and will do whatever it takes to turn out the product we ask for, and pay for.

Oh, there was a little dimensional geometry differences around the safety lug on 762's, but nothing that would affect function, or safety, only fit to the receiver, which is easily fitted. Chris had them made kinda fat, which is a good thing. And they are just as hard as a G.I. bolt. I also forgot to say, when Fulton fixed their dies, they also made the receivers harder than they use to be.

Anyone who knows anything about lapping a bolt, can tell you about this. Before, they were like melted butter. I could take a G.I. bolt and lap it in less than a minute, afterwards, it took a good bit longer. You can actually feel and hear the hardness in your hands when cutting. If you make 100 strokes and nothing measures differently, you know you have a good receiver, and bolt.....minus the lug issue you are actually working on at that moment.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:47 AM

The last 3 JRA receivers that I put together were on the money. TRW bolts took all of 20 to 30 seconds to get great contact. If I weren't so anal, I would say they are a drop in fit. JYWolfe modified barrels when indexed gave a nice 1.633 headspace with no reaming. I think I am in love again.

Semper Fi
Art
Old 01-31-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
The last 3 JRA receivers that I put together were on the money. TRW bolts took all of 20 to 30 seconds to get great contact. If I weren't so anal, I would say they are a drop in fit. JYWolfe modified barrels when indexed gave a nice 1.633 headspace with no reaming. I think I am in love again.

Semper Fi
Art
That's good to hear Art !

That makes the second Wolfe barrel I have heard of and handled personally, that didn't need reaming to final headspace. Jon's got it together now for sure,...... but I still run my pull through finish reamer in there with the slightest touch, and lots of grease to pick up the particulate matter from cutting, to polish the original chamber reamer cutting lines, to smooth it up and help extraction. It doesn't upset the headspace but about .0005

Personally, I can't wait to get my hands on the new JRA receivers and check them out.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:46 PM

These particular barrels are salt nitrited and finish chambered. If I were to want to use a reamer, it would have to be carbide. Don't have one of those in my tool box.