Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 03:58 PM

Lapping tools exert rearward pressure on the bolt face to simulate round in battery conditions.

You don't want to lap in a bolt without this. Otherwise you could be doing it for nothing. I just went ahead and bought the tool. I check with fine grit lapping compound to examine park removal. Guesstimate lug contact area and if good move on.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammonje View Post
Lapping tools exert rearward pressure on the bolt face to simulate round in battery conditions.

You don't want to lap in a bolt without this. Otherwise you could be doing it for nothing. I just went ahead and bought the tool. I check with fine grit lapping compound to examine park removal. Guesstimate lug contact area and if good move on.
Good point. I use a case that I cut a piece out of the middle and slid a spring into it. Does the job, cost nothing.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=78125
Old 10-02-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMagic View Post
You must be talking about this M14 guy being rude right? All I've seen is M14 capping off on Roadkingtrax. I have no idea why ordmm deleted their post, it was spot on, I'd leave the room too.
your were a little late to the party to see 'em.

ordmm deleted his own.

But none the less, ordmm stepped up.

Moving on, hope others can too as the last couple of posts have, great stuff guys, tnx.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramit View Post

ordmm deleted his own.

Moving on, hope others can too as the last couple of posts have, great stuff guys, tnx.

I'm here now, M14 still has his posts up chastising Roadkingtrax, I believe the adjectives used are a bit belittling, of course, if you can't see that... Here you are

By M14 "Which one is more important, safety or accuracy ?.....jeez, I'm done trying to relate to you. That has got to be the dumbest question ever."

I would say that is the most pompous statement ever and it comes off as plain egotistic.

Last edited by CaptainMagic; 10-02-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:04 PM

Actually in all fairness, it is a very pertinent question and the heart of this discussion.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMagic View Post
I'm here now, M14 still has his posts up chastising Roadkingtrax, I believe the adjectives used are a bit belittling, of course, if you can't see that... Here you are

By M14 "Which one is more important, safety or accuracy ?.....jeez, I'm done trying to relate to you. That has got to be the dumbest question ever."

I would say that is the most pompous statement ever and it comes off as plain egotistic.
I may be a little too stubborn to offend.

I'm still waiting for an answer from the OP, he took a dismissive and belittling approach in an attempt to bully his position and reasoning. Sadly that does nothing to support the practice of bolt lapping. Same goes for the self proclaimed experience in all things related to the M1 and M1A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14 View Post

Which one is more important, safety or accuracy ?.....jeez, I'm done trying to relate to you. That has got to be the dumbest question ever. Accuracy Of Course.
I do hope this was a bad attempt at a joke.

Last edited by Roadkingtrax; 10-02-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14 View Post
The safety lug is the one on the left rear of the bolt, so don't let any non-informed smith, tell you that the left side is for safety and contact is not important. It also will increase the accuracy of your rifle, by having good contact on both sides. When there is only one side contacting, the bolt will not settle in the same place every time, thus affecting accuracy.

Comments and questions welcomed.

Clarification please. OP stated "safety lug is the one on the left rear of the bolt".....Typo?
Old 10-02-2012, 05:26 PM

yup, it's all there. but need to look back a few more posts than that to see the first volley
Geez, timing is everything , strike, out of sequence !
spent too much time on something else before hit enter.

Last edited by ramit; 10-02-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramit View Post

ordmm deleted his own.

For your info....I deleted my post because I'm a woosie and hate to be called names....It hurts my feelings....Seems certain people can spout a bunch of stuff about nothing....and then some of us can't. Like I said I woosed out.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordmm View Post
For your info....I deleted my post because I'm a woosie and hate to be called names....It hurts my feelings....Seems certain people can spout a bunch of stuff about nothing....and then some of us can't. Like I said I woosed out.
yea, I see what you mean but maybe not the same way! tnx!

Last edited by ramit; 10-02-2012 at 05:36 PM.