Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
I have gotten two sets of guage from CMP both sets are marked 7.62 NATO.
Well for the M14 National Match rifles, there are actually 4 different drawings for the barrel/chamber. No kidding.

But I've used the Clymers and Forsters... I'm fond of Forster's. The 7.62x51 gauge is the best yet (at least in my experience). If you check back to the Armorer's TMs, the Forster reads 1.6455, just like it's supposed to. Had to dig it out of the tool chest for that one!
Old 11-19-2012, 05:21 AM

Hi Bob,
You are correct. All my old Forsters have numbers on them. That would be the field guage you are talking about. I believe the OP is looking for Go and No/go. The clymers currently available from CMP are very nice.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Hi Bob,
You are correct. All my old Forsters have numbers on them. That would be the field guage you are talking about. I believe the OP is looking for Go and No/go. The clymers currently available from CMP are very nice.
I know, I just got used to using the Forster's and I've been using their products since the dinosaurs roamed the earth! Love the CoAx... my old Rockchucker got buried on a shelf somewhere, well one of them. I still use one for neck expansion.

Forster does have the .308 go no go gauges (have them in the toolbox for Gas guns). Sorry been some time since I looked or used the Clymer's.

Damn, this weekend I got 2 pogo sticks to fix and I keep telling people I'm retired. Oh PS, someone sent me the Smith NM sights to try.. not good.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:11 AM

Let's try to keep it on track for the OP.
Art
Old 11-19-2012, 10:46 AM

I think you hit a typo Art. Go is 1.6355 and no go is 1.6375

Headspace lengths for caliber .308 Winchester

1.630" GO
1.634" NO GO ??????????
1.638" FIELD REJECT

The G.I. Headspace Gage lengths for 7.62mm

Go Gage...................................... 1.6355"
NO Go Gage................................ 1.6375"
Rebuild Maximum Gage.............. 1.6415"
Field Reject Gage....................... 1.6455"

My PT&G gauges read SAAMI go, is 1.632 and no go is 1.636.

A friend told me he thought SAAMI No Go...Now changed to 1.634, only SAAMI has not updated their site or informed all armorers and gunsmiths throughout the U.S., world, or NATO realm. If you order them made from PT&G, they will come at 1.636 for no go. I'm sure their product liabilty insurance is paid up. That's about right, I live yesterday anyway, who needs changes to their lifestyle or headspace specs now. It has been working fine for me for years.

Even Gus says that closing on a SAAMI no go is fine and good.
It's only .0005 over NATO minimum. ( The old SAAMI no go, that is... ) I have one of my rifles set-up at NATO minimum, and full length size my brass back to SAAMI factory specs. I am on my 10th loading with no casehead seperations, but, it is a G.I. chamber. I don't recommend doing this for anyone, it is an experiment that is ongoing for me. Usually load them 4-5 times, then I stash the loaded brass for time of war only. The broken shell extractor hangs around my neck like a necklace, most days here. Only needed it twice in four years. You guessed it, Doc's Fed Ord and an Armscorp rifle.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:50 AM

The CMP estore may offer them but I am still checking. Forster's may be your best bet if they don't. Here is the message I received from Clymer today re their gauges and the question I asked them that they responded to:

Sir,

We make go, no go and field to 308 win saami specs.....

1.630, 1.634 and 1.640 respectively.

Price = $26/gauge

If you would like to place an order please complete the form above, save it
to your PC and return it as an attachment in your reply message.

CLYMER Precision Staff

1605 W. Hamlin Rd.

Rochester Hills, MI 48309

ph: 248-853-5555

fax: 248-853-1530

www.clymertool.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2012 4:53 PM
To: clymer@clymertool.com
Subject: 7.62 NATO Gauges

Do you offer, perhaps by special order, 7.62 NATO headspace gauges
and, if so, which ones (go, no-go, field?), how much are they and how
do I order them?

Thank you,
Old 11-19-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14 View Post
I think you hit a typo Art. Go is 1.6355 and no go is 1.6375

Headspace lengths for caliber .308 Winchester

1.630" GO
1.634" NO GO ??????????
1.638" FIELD REJECT

The G.I. Headspace Gage lengths for 7.62mm

Go Gage...................................... 1.6355"
NO Go Gage................................ 1.6375"
Rebuild Maximum Gage.............. 1.6415"
Field Reject Gage....................... 1.6455"

My PT&G gauges read SAAMI go, is 1.632 and no go is 1.636.

A friend told me he thought SAAMI No Go...Now changed to 1.634, only SAAMI has not updated their site or informed all armorers and gunsmiths throughout the U.S., world, or NATO realm. If you order them made from PT&G, they will come at 1.636 for no go. I'm sure their product liabilty insurance is paid up. That's about right, I live yesterday anyway, who needs changes to their lifestyle or headspace specs now. It has been working fine for me for years.

Even Gus says that closing on a SAAMI no go is fine and good.
It's only .0005 over NATO minimum. ( The old SAAMI no go, that is... ) I have one of my rifles set-up at NATO minimum, and full length size my brass back to SAAMI factory specs. I am on my 10th loading with no casehead seperations, but, it is a G.I. chamber. I don't recommend doing this for anyone, it is an experiment that is ongoing for me. Usually load them 4-5 times, then I stash the loaded brass for time of war only. The broken shell extractor hangs around my neck like a necklace, most days here. Only needed it twice in four years. You guessed it, Doc's Fed Ord and an Armscorp rifle.
No typo boss. There are so many changing standards that it is almost impossible to keep up with them.

My set and my set only apparently: This is what I understand is the current " NATO MATCH " chambering.

Nato Match go 1.6325
no/go 1.6355
Field 1.6455

I have seen so many different ones over the last 46 years it makes my head spin. My understanding that these are current. If not, they are the last set I am buying and I will stick with them. The work for my application.

Last edited by nf1e; 11-19-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Let's try to keep it on track for the OP.
Art
Thanks, to much on my mind.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:51 PM

Default Headspace gauges

Sorry folks a lot on my mind, but stopped to talk to someone that's getting issued M14s and realized a mistake:

For a true 7.62x51 chamber, get the Forsters:

HG762NATOmin and HG762NATOmax gauges. These cover min and max instead of a field gauge.

These also have good relief cuts so you can cheat stripping the bolts that way you nede to if the gauge doesn't have the cut. Otherwise, strip the bolt or you'll won't be headspacing off the bolt face.

Sorry: HUA.

Reason I do use the Forsters: I can cheat and not strip the bolt.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojkoh View Post
Sorry folks a lot on my mind, but stopped to talk to someone that's getting issued M14s and realized a mistake:

For a true 7.62x51 chamber, get the Forsters:

HG762NATOmin and HG762NATOmax gauges. These cover min and max instead of a field gauge.

These also have good relief cuts so you can cheat stripping the bolts that way you nede to if the gauge doesn't have the cut. Otherwise, strip the bolt or you'll won't be headspacing off the bolt face.

Sorry: HUA.

Reason I do use the Forsters: I can cheat and not strip the bolt.
Clymer 7.62 Nato have the same relief cut. I still like to strip the bolt, but you don't have to.