Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 09:06 AM

Default What Should I Do About my 7.62mm Firearms M14?

I've been reading bits and pieces of the threads about the 7.62 Firearms receivers, since I own one. Mine was built into a complete rifle by them, and it's a great shooter - I have about 150 rounds through it to date, plus another 100 or so of the DAG plastic training rounds (lots of fun!).

Naturally, I'm concerned that the receiver will blow into shrapnel on the firing line. What would you recommend? Is a check by a competent gunsmith sufficient, or should I just plan to replace the receiver? Who would you recommend do the checking or replacement?

Thanks,

Tony
Old 12-05-2012, 09:27 AM

If you can afford to swap receivers then buy a Fulton for $450 when on sale or an SAI M1A receiver from Champions Choice for $625.

How is a competent gunsmith going to tell if the receiver was heat treated properly????? Rockwell harndess testing???? I have no idea really.

Any one of us can swap a receiver....assembling an M14 from scratch takes no longer than 1.5 - 2.0 hr.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:17 AM

Seriously, or just trolling for comments about 7.62 Firearms?
Old 12-05-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radionicist View Post
I've been reading bits and pieces of the threads about the 7.62 Firearms receivers, since I own one. Mine was built into a complete rifle by them, and it's a great shooter - I have about 150 rounds through it to date, plus another 100 or so of the DAG plastic training rounds (lots of fun!).

Naturally, I'm concerned that the receiver will blow into shrapnel on the firing line. What would you recommend? Is a check by a competent gunsmith sufficient, or should I just plan to replace the receiver? Who would you recommend do the checking or replacement?

Thanks,

Tony
If you are really concerned, have it checked out by an M14 smith. You should be good to go. The majority of the rifles built by them have had no problems. Too bad they didn't make the mountain. Their customer service was the big problem along with folks that just couldn't stand competition. I would have enjoyed to see them succeed.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCBurner View Post
Seriously, or just trolling for comments about 7.62 Firearms?
No trolling, I'm serious. I really like shooting my M14, but the threads I've read here have me nervous, and I want to avoid having pieces of receiver blow into my face, if possible. If I've misread what has been posted, and there is no significant threat, I'll head for the range!

I avoid shooting my low number 1903 Springfield for the same reason.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
If you are really concerned, have it checked out by an M14 smith.
Well, that was the last question I posted - who? My only local gunsmith is barely able to mount a scope properly.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:10 AM

You asked and answered your own question, if you are scared it will "blow up" then replace it. Simple. There are no guarantees in this life. End of story.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:12 AM

Jon Y Wolfe.

Ted Brown.

I seriously cannot envision a way for them to definitively state whether the heat treatment was done correctly. Other than that I wouldn't be concerned really. Gonna spend a bunch of money sending it off, but how will they know for sure?????

If it was me, I'd just replace the receiver and sell it to recoup some of my costs. Some on the M14TFL would buy the receiver for $500 or so. Having no confidence in the rifle would really bother me and therefore I wouldn't shoot it.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Well, that was the last question I posted - who? My only local gunsmith is barely able to mount a scope properly.
I would suggest asking on a board more devoted to the M14. I was just reading reviews on the M14forum and most were positive as far as the actual weapon is concerned. As usual, most of the complainers never even held one in their hands. Hopefully M14 will jump in. I think he wanted to work for them at one time. May be wrong, but I think he has actually checked out the product. If you decide you want to sell your rifle, I am sure you won't have any trouble finding a home for it. There are always folks looking for one of the 7.62s forged receivers. May just turn out to be a collectors item.
Semper Fi
Art B

Last edited by nf1e; 12-05-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:

Thanks,

Tony
There are no reports I'm aware of that 7.62mm receivers have ever failed. I would be more concerned with the fact they built it. I saw one gun they built that was horrible.

Having a gunsmith inspect it would certainly not be a bad thing if you are concerned but at a minimum I would check the headspace. An RCBS case gauge is a good tool to have also.

Personally I have two 7.62mm receivers I built. The only problem I had was the safety bridge was slightly out of spec, too narrow a slot for a GI firing pin tail and the slant cut for the FP to retract was cut too shallow so the FP tail would catch when retracting the bolt. A little time with a Dremel fixed the problems and it's been happy shooting ever since.