Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
Thanks Rip,
I knew you could clear this up. I am sorry I didn't pick a few up when I had the chance. I looked at a pile of them at Camp Perry a couple of years ago, just couldn't find the cash at the time. As they say " Hind sight is 20/20 ".
Semper Fi
Art B
No worries bud, I just crawled out from under Kay's truck and it is going well with the new timing chain and power steering pump. If I can make it to Camp Perry this year, I will bring you a few to look at. If you find something you like, I will save it for you. You can try them out in a match if you like. Your collection is so nice, it really needs one of these to be fully rounded out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444-45 View Post
M14 - Big Thanks for your contributions.

I am another one who went thru having a build by Chris as he is local from my area. I never new of his store prior and have not done any business since my build. Just read alot on this and several other fourms.

I do not have my serial # handy, however I believe mine to be in the third batch.

With only shooting this one a very few times, I'll get this to Rob (a new gunsmith) at the Marksman in Barberton, OH, for an inspection and give him your recommendations on what to look for from your above post. Hopefully all will be well! Again, Thanks!!
You are very welcome sir. My only goal is to get everyone up and running if possible, and be safe in doing so. best regards to all....Rip.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:44 PM

This is a rough sketch of where the SN's match up with the lots:

Group 1 52000-52041
Group 2 52042-52093
Group 3 52094-52141
Group 4 52142-52199
Group 5 52200-52253
Group 6 52254-52297
Group 7 52298-52337
Group 8 52338-52379

I have one from group 3 and one from group 5.

I thought some were made with custom serial numbers.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:46 PM

I have 240, so group 5, are there any reports of problems with group 5?
Old 12-06-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vos Parate View Post
This is a rough sketch of where the SN's match up with the lots:

Group 1 52000-52041
Group 2 52042-52093
Group 3 52094-52141
Group 4 52142-52199
Group 5 52200-52253
Group 6 52254-52297
Group 7 52298-52337
Group 8 52338-52379

I have one from group 3 and one from group 5.

I thought some were made with custom serial numbers.
Mine has special S/N 8888 and according to M14 it is part of group 5
Old 12-06-2012, 08:25 AM

The only issue I remember a someone (arctic on TFL) posting regarding heat treat was brittle barrel threads from improper heat treat. Not sure who inspected his receiver.

Is he planning on trying to relaunch his operation?
Old 12-06-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14 View Post
I have 138, 136, and 137, and all those are good to go. So you should be fine.
Rip, thank you very much for the detailed information you posted. I'll do some checking, but you've certainly put my mind at ease about the potential for problems with my 7.62 receiver. I really appreciate the help!

Tony
Old 12-06-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtime7 View Post
I have 240, so group 5, are there any reports of problems with group 5?
Not many as I recall, maybe a few burrs here and there, and some few with short barrel rings, but as I said, these can be overcome and built. One thing across the board is the left lug gap, but as we know, that goes for all makers, commercial and G.I. alike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokiWartooth View Post
The only issue I remember a someone (arctic on TFL) posting regarding heat treat was brittle barrel threads from improper heat treat. Not sure who inspected his receiver.

Is he planning on trying to relaunch his operation?
That is common when the threads are cut to a tipped point and too narrow. As I remembered that, they cut the threads wider at the tip to get past that problem. On some receivers, you will see a flat at the tip of the threads, and some may be hard to thread barrels on. A little lapping with fine compound will do the trick on most of them. Only saw a couple like that, and two that were egged out, but all were buildable and shot very well. Kind of surprised me too.

He is I heard. Working on machining his own billet receivers now. But I haven't spoken with him in a long time. This is through the grapevine, take that for what it is worth. He owed me a replacement receiver and cut off communications with me. So I was done with it. I won't beg anyone to be my friend, or do the right thing. Bad thing is, I really liked Chris, too bad he can't grab the ball and make a touchdown with it, I would be standing and cheering in the stands like everyone else. It will all depend on if the authorities decide to punish him or not. If they do, he will lose his license, if they don't, he will continue on. He is innocent until proven guilty after all. All of that does not even matter unless he can get his customer service down pat, and fulfill all past and present obligations to customers. That is my opinion, ...they are like advice,.... free, and worth what you pay for them.

Thanks VosP. for compiling that.

Well back when the sale was going on at TFL, the second sale, I remember speaking with Chris. IIRC, he said most of the custom serial numbers were made in the fifth run of treating. May be a few from the fourth. As I said previously, most of these runs were all buildable, but took someone that knows what to look for, not just any old gunsmith.

The only good thing to come from all of this mess, is that I attained as much armorer experience as a 30 year military vet has, or more. Why ? Because military small arms were made so well, that very few armorers ever saw much wrong with them, or had to repair many, other than small inconsequential things, and things to do with accuracy improvements, like NM rifles. Whereas, I, have seen every possible screw up that could ever happen, and had to learn how to fix them. Some, all in one receiver, now that was a challenge. So for that, I am grateful to 762MM Firearms. It also forced me to commit to memory, most measurements on the blueprints for reference in repairs, and how far one could go and still be safe. I will say this, I am very proud of my collection of M14's from them, but it was tough to pull off, and not for the faint of heart, or someone afraid to work on one. I told Mineral55 recently, "You have to work on them, like you have a bucketful of them laying there, and not be afraid."

It was really funny when Geeck first came up to build his, and I pulled out the pneumatic die grinder with a carbide knife on it and started hacking away at his receiver. He was like, "Ahh,...what are you doing ?"....heh heh heh....I showed him the burrs and said.."Relax, I'm gooood at this."
Old 12-06-2012, 10:15 AM

M14, Again Thanks!

I checked my Serial # its: 5216x from group 4

My 762mm Fireams build was on a CMP Kit A, mostly all HRA parts.

Chris furnished his Forged Receiver, Bolt and a (used) HRA Barrel for the build.

From the hang tag supplied with the build:
Assembly Date: 5-11-2011
Headspace: 1.632
Assembler: CJT
Barrel Length: 22"
Throat Erosion: 1
Test Fired: Yes

I am not a gunsmith, mostly a shooter, so this will have to be checked, however so far it seems to be in a better batch.

This is my only M1A and (someday) I wish to pass this down in confidence to my only son.

Last edited by 444-45; 12-10-2012 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Text added
Old 12-06-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444-45 View Post
M14, Again Thanks!

I checked my Serial # its: 52162

My 762mm Fireams build was on a CMP Kit A, mostly all HRA parts.

Chris furnished his Forged Receiver, Bolt and a (used) HRA Barrel for the build.

From the hang tag supplied with the build:
Assembly Date: 5-11-2011
Headspace: 1.632
Assembler: CJT
Barrel Length: 22"
Throat Erosion: 1
Test Fired: Yes

I am not a gunsmith, mostly a shooter, so this will have to be checked, however so far it seems to be in a better batch.

This is my only M1A and (someday) I wish to pass this down in confidence to my only son.

That's great, many of us do plan the same, and wish to know the facts about these for our posterity's sake.

To all members here wishing to check their headspace. I am going to send out a gage set, starting with Vos Parate, then mtime7, I will start another thread to circulate these gages to all who need them. You will need to post on the list for next in line, then send your address to the guy that has them, he will be responsible for shipping to you, and so on. Watch for the thread and post if you need them...........Rip.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:43 AM

Thank You M14, you couldn't be more helpful
Joe