Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2019, 01:06 PM

Default Questions about my CMP bayonet

I picked this up at the North store 02/25/2016. I can tell that it is a 16" cut down to 10". I am confused because it is marked AFH and UFH, can someone please explain that to me. Also I cannot seem to identify the scabbard. It is marked US M7 on the metal and seems to have some cap over the tip. I have found no pictures of others marked this way or with the cap over the tip. There is a little symbol on both sides of the scabbard that resembles the symbol on a Taiwanese scabbard pictured in Bruce N Campbell's book but the other features of my scabbard are nothing like the one pictured in the book. Any help you can offer?

GuapoPogi
Old 01-02-2019, 01:12 PM

AFH made the 16" in 1942

UFH did the cutdown to 10" probably in 43 or 44.

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=200241
Old 01-02-2019, 02:25 PM

^^^ what he said...
“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.” —Federal Judge Benson Everett Legg

CTNC (IW) / 1995-Current U.S. NAVY
NAVY CHIEF, NAVY PRIDE!
Old 01-02-2019, 02:42 PM

Thanks for clarifying that. The UFH looked like it was done later so I thought it was an AFH but the CMP sold it to me as a UFH. The mistake does not mean anything to me as the manufacturer had nothing to do with my purchase decision. Does anyone have info on the scabbard or the 4 on the guard?

GuapoPogi
Old 01-02-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuapoPogi View Post
Thanks for clarifying that. The UFH looked like it was done later so I thought it was an AFH but the CMP sold it to me as a UFH. The mistake does not mean anything to me as the manufacturer had nothing to do with my purchase decision. Does anyone have info on the scabbard or the 4 on the guard?

GuapoPogi

The scabbard is generally regarded as a Greek replacement and thought to be mfg in Taiwan.

see: http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_41.htm

Last edited by luigi; 01-02-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuapoPogi View Post

GuapoPogi
The Greeks put lots of numbers on the guard. I have lots with six, seven and even 8 characters on the guards. I do not have any with a single digit.

My bet it was a Greek, and a low serial number in that arms room. Thus the only 4.

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=200241
Old 01-02-2019, 05:09 PM

The numbers and repair to the scabbard were done by the Greeks. I have several examples as shown in this reference.
http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_41.him
Old 01-02-2019, 05:46 PM

Your link does not work for me, however I did spend alot of time on the page earlier. I was specifically looking for information on M7 scabbards and did not see any until I was dirrected to the CMP page there by luigi. I saw the scabbard pages and somehow missed the CMP M7 scabbard page that was listed in the index.

I also was looking over the website a couple of weeks ago when I needed info on the M5a1 bayonets. Lots of good info here. Only info I could not find was how to date M1 and M5A1 bayonets.

GuapoPogi
Old 01-02-2019, 09:12 PM

Try this link.
http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_41.htm

Nice looking bayonet....
JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 01-03-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Poster View Post
AFH made the 16" in 1942

UFH did the cutdown to 10" probably in 43 or 44.
I have a 1909 SA cut down stamped AFH on top of handle "tang", I wonder how many companies did the cut downs?
Edit: checked the bayo points again and all 5 cut them down

Last edited by Joturkey; 01-03-2019 at 07:00 PM.