Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Feedback
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2015, 07:26 AM

Default SAFS 2015 Coaching Concern

This is the second time I have attended the SAFS school during the national matches. I have shot there now for three years and never had a poor experience. However, for the 2015 SAFS I was squaded with an older gentleman who was extremely rude and unwilling to take the time to teach 3 rookie shooters. They were not overly confident with shooting high power but had shooting experience. It was almost like a burden that he had to work with them. He made numerous negative comments and his tone was incredibly disrespectful and rude, to the point that during the school and matches I had to leave the firing line relay to cool down.

To me personally as an educator, I don't care one bit about your distinguished rifle badge, it's more about trying to help others get into marksmanship and shooting. If you are going to beat your chest and be a complete jerk to new, inexperienced shooters, please do not come back. If it wasn't for me taking an Army veteran this year to Camp Perry to compete for the first time, I would've probably been disqualified for screaming at this idiot.

If you don't believe me on their shooting skills and nervousness, one finished dead last in the EIC match, another in the high 200s, and the third, my Army veteran fired just over 300.

Where should I take this now? Should I write a formal letter to the CMP? I can guarantee those two gentleman will not be returning after their belittling, abusive experience. I love what the CMP has been able to do for me and improve my own marksmenship , but this was beyond anything I have personally witnessed before.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:34 AM

Definitely let the CMP know. I think Kim Filipiak(sp?) is the administrator for this program.
NRA - XTC HP Expert
16 down / 14 to go!
Old 07-17-2015, 07:47 AM

That stinks you had a bad experiece.Absolutely would write to let them know the coaches name and what happened. I was planning in writing the AMU thanking them for another wonderful clinic. I was suprised they didn't have us pull targets for the coaches, instead making them pull for each other I was told they stopped it because too many people complained. It blows mind how inconsiderate and rude people are to people that volunteer their time.

Missed the cut by a point....yay. I guess I'll be back unless I can scrounge up point before next year
Old 07-22-2015, 06:38 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ljagdtiger
Default Bad experience

Absolutely send a formal complaint letter. Listing in detail all the negatives this person did. That is the only way the leaders of cmp will know what happened.

Hopefully they will correct this situation and send a formal appology to all men and women involved. As he is a formal agent representing them
DO INCLUDE NAMES AND ADDRESSES OF THE NEW SHOOTERS THAT WERE INSULTED. MAYBE A FORMAL APOLOGY FROM CMP WILL KEEP THEM IN SHOOTING SPORTS. THEY DEFINITELY ARE DESERVING OF A OPPOLOGY FROM CMP
larry
n/c indiana

Last edited by ljagdtiger; 07-22-2015 at 06:56 AM. Reason: TYPO
Old 07-23-2015, 08:30 AM

Was this a coach or a participant? Certainly contrary to my experience.

Mike
Old 07-23-2015, 10:44 AM

Unfortunately this was a blue jacket coach!
Old 07-23-2015, 02:59 PM

I am sorry you had a poor experience with a coach. The hi-power community by and large is a wonderfully helpful group that is eager to get new blood up and running. The community definitely doesn't need any "bad apples" driving people away.

To the contrary I ran into my coach from last year while at Perry last week. He remembered me right off and that I had gotten my 4. We went on to chit chat for a good 15 - 20 minutes. In good coach fashion he again lent his wisdom and knowledge to help me in my mental game where I have been struggling. It paid off the rest of the week and showed on my scorecards.

Now, 8 hours of remedial coaching isn't going to make a beginner into Daniel Boone but a positive attitude and a willingness to teach those willing to learn will go a long way to getting beginners interested in improving and hopefully getting them to come back for more. This sport isn't easy and to excel takes some talent, investment in equipment and yourself and a lot of time. If it was easy everyone would do it. An individual's scores alone cannot summarize how much they learned or didn't learn. Someone who has never picked up an AR or used a sling cannot be expected to throw them into the center or not save a round...

I truly hope that this one bad experience doesn't drive the individuals you mention above away from the sport for good. I truly hope you and they find someone in your lives that will take you under their wing so to speak and offer advice and coaching to get you on your feet and going.

I am sure the CMP would feel the same as I.
Distinguished Rifleman #2297

Last edited by Rootsy; 07-23-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnmccoy View Post
That stinks you had a bad experience. Absolutely would write to let them know the coaches name and what happened. I was planning in writing the AMU thanking them for another wonderful clinic. I was surprised they didn't have us pull targets for the coaches, instead making them pull for each other I was told they stopped it because too many people complained. It blows mind how inconsiderate and rude people are to people that volunteer their time.
Regarding the issue of pulling targets for the coaches, you might want to read what happened at the 2013 SAFS-Rifle:
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=114103

This may help to explain the situation (somewhat)...
Old 07-24-2015, 04:01 PM

Dont complain too much...theyll cancel it