Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2018, 07:32 PM

Default Adding optics to the M14 platform on a budget?

A nearly computer illiterate guy I shoot with is getting to the point that his dominant eye can't handle iron sights anymore. I forget what the condition he has is called, but he says the targets are noting but fuzz with irons these days and there isn't much that can be done about it.

To that end, I'm trying to help him find an affordable scope and rings for his M14 clone.

I believe an ARMS 18 is the base he'll use, so I'm trying to help him top it with something. That said, I don't know anything about "modern optics" so here we are.

Most of his shooting will be done 100-300 yards from a bench as that is all he has access to. He does not want or need an illuminated reticle, BDC, mil-dot reticle or anything fancy like that.

He's looking for basic, durable and affordable. Adjustments he can turn by hand rather than with a coin or screwdriver would also be preferable.

I believe he is open to a fixed power or variable power scope.

As for the rings, something easily removable from the mount is a must so he can fit the rifle in his safe.

Target price for the scope and rings is in the $3-500 range.

Anyone have anything they would recommend or warn against?

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:33 AM

You can buy an adequate mount off ebay for $20. There are no unique requirements for a M14 scope or rings--just the location of the turrets, adjustment rings, eye relief, etc as with any installation. For 1-200 yds a 4X or 1-4x is fine. The Leupold M8 4x compact is just right for size, price and quality, IMO. The inexpensive Chinese mount is pretty good....only problems were a cheap main mounting bolt (easily replaced) and occasional ejected cases failing to clear the mount. You may want a strap on cheek piece as the GI stock is configured too low for a scope. Good Shooting......
Old 09-04-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
You can buy an adequate mount off ebay for $20. There are no unique requirements for a M14 scope or rings--just the location of the turrets, adjustment rings, eye relief, etc as with any installation. For 1-200 yds a 4X or 1-4x is fine. The Leupold M8 4x compact is just right for size, price and quality, IMO. The inexpensive Chinese mount is pretty good....only problems were a cheap main mounting bolt (easily replaced) and occasional ejected cases failing to clear the mount. You may want a strap on cheek piece as the GI stock is configured too low for a scope. Good Shooting......
There is no such thing as a good cheap mount. Cheap and good do not coexist in the world of scope mounts. Quality material costs money. Quality machinig cost money. This also goes for scope rings. Buy once, cry once.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:49 AM

I've had an ARMs-18 for years. I've it on the rifle with a Zeis scope in an ADM quick release rings/mount. Doesn't sit that high (for me) but if I had to do it over (with my 71 y.o. eyes) I'd go with a 1-6 or 1-8 probably Vortex (can't beat their warranty, IMHO) With the quick release off I can still use the irons without bothering the ARMS-18.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:54 PM

I cant help you on the mount i just finished my first M1a project and for now just using irons...but.
I tend to be a buyer of inexpensive scopes and often try to find the higher end scopes of the past. One of my favorites luepold VXIII 2.5x8x32 duplex. Simple solid and clear enough for its age.
Next mueller scopes. i have the 8x32x44 side focus and this one
http://muelleroptics.com/products/mu...-10x44-tac-ii/
Only complaint is the turret detent does not have a solid feel. You dont get the audio and textile "click" like other scopes.
I have a $200 bushnell compact scope with side focus that was on clearance on amazon pretty solid so far.

Be careful a scope is not always going to help with vision.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:50 PM

Look at Vortex or Primary Arms. Watch prices on Optics Planet. I got some great deals last Thanksgiving on Optics Planet. I would suggest a Bassett mount if he wants to remove it without having to re-zero.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:30 AM

https://m14forum.com/px/468318-basse...0-shipped.html

A basset up for sale....
Old 10-06-2018, 01:46 PM

Looks like the combination he's going to try is:

ARMS 18
Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x40
Warne 201LM QD rings

He's into that for about $340
Old 10-06-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Garandy View Post
Looks like the combination he's going to try is:

ARMS 18
Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x40
Warne 201LM QD rings

He's into that for about $340
Arms #22 rings would be the most easily removed and replaced without loosing his zero.
Nice scope.
HighLux is putting out some very nice sub 300 buck optics currently that perform exceptionally well on the M14.
I am shooting consistent sub moa 10 rnd groups with the setup in the photo. I think it was right about 400 for the combination scope/rings.

10 rnd 100yd group shot in August.

RVN 67-68

Last edited by nf1e; 10-06-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:10 PM

When I checked for him it did not appear that the ARMS #22 was available in a 1" ring. Otherwise, the'd have been in the running.