Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Auction
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2018, 03:17 PM

Default M1C auctions

I was wondering about the consecutive s/n pair of M1C's from a couple of weeks ago. Were they Greek rebuilds or what?

Same for the one on this week, it does not appear to have a staked scope mount, it that Greek or was the mount removed at some point?
Old 12-28-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegunman View Post
I was wondering about the consecutive s/n pair of M1C's from a couple of weeks ago. Were they Greek rebuilds or what?

Same for the one on this week, it does not appear to have a staked scope mount, it that Greek or was the mount removed at some point?
I'll share my 50 cents worth...

The consecutive service grade M1C's from a few weeks ago went for a very low price, about $4800. Neither the title nor description mentioned M1C, so that probably didn't help the price. They appeared to have some signs of Greek rebuild work. It's always hard to tell for sure from pictures, but it looked like the receivers and brackets showed Greek black finish and the bright pins on one of the brackets stand out. I thought it was odd that the stock on the first one had "GAW" written in grease pencil on the flat above the barrel channel. I doubt that was marked there by the Greek rebuild program.

The one on auction now seems to have similar signs of Greek work, the blackish purple hue shows in a few of the pictures, and the pins are a little "proud" of the bracket like some of the Greek work. Still it is a real nice bottom numbered G&H bracket that matches the receiver. Anyone should be proud to own an M1C like this one. In the picture that shows the staking, it looks like the rear screw hole has the angular cut out receiver staking and the other screws show screw staking. Based on those features (if I'm seeing them correctly) I would say it was a US 1951 rebuild followed by the Greek refinish with the bracket put back on the same rifle. The NFR stock and lock bar sights look a little odd on a double rebuild though, so you have to wonder if those may have come along later.

Dave
Old 12-31-2018, 04:57 PM

Dave, thanks for additional information since I was wondering the same thing. The consecutive s/n pair was a head scratcher. I was getting ready to bid on them with about an hour left but decided against it. I thought they were going to go for much more and felt I was going to bidding on something that was going to for much more than I could actually afford, and would still need all the things that go with completing them. I went to bed and boy was I surprised on Saturday when I got up. I showed my buddy and he said the title kept it low.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwcritch View Post
I showed my buddy and he said the title kept it low.
I had no idea they were M1C's. You buddy was right. I would have put a bid on them if I had known. The title didn't list them as M1C and I didn't look that closely at the thumbnail pic.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:36 PM

In my opinion $4800 was a bargain! I wouldn't part with my consecutive S/N M1-Cs for under $10K. Just try to find another pair..
Old 01-01-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave269 View Post
In my opinion $4800 was a bargain! I wouldn't part with my consecutive S/N M1-Cs for under $10K. Just try to find another pair..
I guess this can be a three part question. Did you buy this set? Or do you have a set already? Or are you hypothetical?
Old 01-02-2019, 04:17 PM

I have consecutive SG C's that i couldn't let go for that! They both have matching serial number bases and 45 barrels. One I received mail order and the other i found at the south store. Couldn't believe it when i found it in the rack.

Iraq/Afghanistan 03-04
Iraq JAN-NOV 2011

Last edited by csm14thbn; 01-02-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:52 PM

Man, that was an awesome cartch!!! I've spend years looking for the match to any of the rifles I own and the closest I've ever got was 3 digits.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:43 PM

Mine came from the old CMP auctions. Bought one at a time. I paid through the nose for the second one since it would make the pair. Both very different rifles, one still as it was in 1945(NFR cartouche, & scoped). The other went through two rebuilds one SA-52, then O-65. I believe it is a once in a lifetime set for me.