Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2012, 01:18 AM

I think I got one of the last ones from Wideners. She arrived this week through the LGS. New, unfired. Interestingly, when I went to order on 3 Feb, the LGS had just received a flyer from SOG listing Wz.78s. SOG still lists them on their website. SOG's price in the flyer was about $20 more than Wideners and lists them as used-excellent.

As of 17 Feb Wideners still listed extra Wz.78 mags. I wonder if they will sell mags without a rifle purchase since they are out of rifles.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:25 PM

Widener's is out of Wifama rifles but is now selling the magazines by themselves.

hth,
dcat
Old 02-25-2012, 12:51 PM

While looking at Romanian M1969's ... stumbled on a youtube video of one of this rifles - thought it looked nice and then I'm always a push-over for military rifles. I picked up one of these Widener's WZ.78 after visiting with Eric (he had been long out of them) and combing the forum threads via google. Fellow patrons at the local gunshop were really interested in the design and stock look. Appeared unfired/unissued - but did have some storage marks etc ... so not perfect as some have received. All matching - electro penciled and stamped...1990 mfg. First impressions - beautiful stock with fish scaling and some knots - which I really like. Why they slacked some on the trigger guard - who knows. Tooling seems okay - finish certainly not to typical commercial standards. Really - I'm tickled with this rifle - its not common looking and gives the appearance of a target match grade shooter. I took it out today and ran about 20rds at an old blue lemonade drinking glass at 50 and 25 yards. I'm heading towards 40 and definitely can tell my eyes aren't what they use to be. Thought I was missing at 50, but upon inspection - I was hitting in the same 1 inch area! Heck - thats not bad... At 25 yards - just too easy and shooting up the plastic shards. I did find the mag did not always seat properly to feed the rounds - maybe me being to delicate. Bolt cycled with some to little effort. I'll probably put a scope on this like many have and train my kids. I did take advantage of Wideners extra mags and have a polish ak sling on order.

IMHO, nice military trainer with decent quality and some history. Always hard to say if these are drying up - see SOG has them. I could not tell for sure, but is the Wifama factory gone?

Enjoy those trainers! Certainly now understand first hand why they are selling well.

Last edited by chickendumpling; 02-25-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:58 PM

Chickendumpling: I was researching Polish military rifles while waiting for my Wz. In a translated web article on Beryls and Tantals there was a mention that the Wifama factory went out of business. The factory was located in Radom, Poland. Sorry, I don't remember the link to the article.

Interestingly the Polish military is heavily involved in Afghanistan and Iraq assisiting US troops.

Given my Polish heritage it is nice to have a White Eagle Wz.

dcat, thanks for the info on the remaining mags at Wideners.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:37 AM

Default Something noticed

While dealing with Wideners ... noticed the rifles (many appeared 1990 mfg) and the serial numbers were very close (B series)- I would assume someone could have even received consecutive numbered rifles. Did anyone manage that?

Next, I purchased some of the extra mags. Those surplus spare mags are serialed to rifles - some of which are only a few mfg jumps from my rifle and others I've seen. So what happened to those other rifles and why the lost mags with rifle serial?

My assumption is maybe the importer received the rifles with one mag in the rifle, but perhaps a second mag ended up in a bin/box with hundreds of others. Considering the spare mags I received and some appear never used - I believe these WZ78 rifles may likely have had a second matching magazine. However, what importer is going to take the time and try to sort for that second matching magazine.

Last edited by chickendumpling; 03-05-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickendumpling View Post
My assumption is maybe the importer received the rifles (Wz-78) with one mag in the rifle, but perhaps a second mag ended up in a bin/box with hundreds of others. Considering the spare mags I received and some appear never used - I believe these WZ78 rifles may likely have had a second matching magazine. However, what importer is going to take the time and try to sort for that second matching magazine.
Neither the importer or the seller is going to sort the mags. On Rimfire Central, a fellow has tried to start a mag swap thread but with no success. If you happen to have mag # B-01395, let me know. The two extra mags I bought look to have been new until I used them.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:39 PM

Default Lost mag...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubs43 View Post
Neither the importer or the seller is going to sort the mags. On Rimfire Central, a fellow has tried to start a mag swap thread but with no success. If you happen to have mag # B-01395, let me know. The two extra mags I bought look to have been new until I used them.
Ones I have span B-010xx to B-012xx. I have more spares coming. Who knows

My WZ is B 01244.

Unfortunately, odds are not good for recovering the second mag - first, someone even is aware there was a second, do they care, credibility, and then stumble onto the right forum/thread.

Cheers!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:38 PM

I have four rifles:
B01105 with B01105 mag, new rifle in wrap, supposedly from Dans Sporting Goods.
B01218 with B01218 mag, new from Wideners.
B02245 with B01793 mag, slightly used from Todd at FFF who probably got it from Aim Surplus.
B00711 with B02116 mag, slightly used also from Todd and probably from Aim Surplus.

Spare mags:
B01397 from Wideners
B01406 from Wideners
Old 03-06-2012, 11:15 AM

abeal, you have FOUR! Don't blame you, they seem to be solid keepers. One I have has some realy nice looking wood (if you like the fish scale and knots). Did you get em for family members to use/learn or collection?

Appears Widners is out of mags ... do not see them listed anymore.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:25 PM

My extra mags are numbered B-01358 and B-01365. I have one more on the way that I ordered 10 days ago.