Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 01:35 PM

If you decide to take the rifle to a gunsmith, be sure he is quite familiar with the M-1 before you turn it over. Not all 'smiths today know the rifle that well anymore. I see you're in the Chicago area. Not sure what you'll find close in -- you may have to send it off. That said, if you have some skill in that area, buy the books, research the thing, and try it yourself.

Good luck! Good shooting!

Last edited by Soljerblue; 04-02-2013 at 01:36 PM. Reason: short addition
Old 04-02-2013, 02:29 PM

can you even have a fire arm in the "chicago" area, kommrades?
Old 04-02-2013, 02:38 PM

I haven't received my first Garand yet, but there are tons of videos on YouTube showing how to field strip and detail strip an M1. Field stripping looks to be very simple. You basically remove the trigger group and the stock. That's what soldiers were taught to do. Detail stripping is more involved and takes a little more skill, but if you read enough and watch enough videos it shouldn't be too difficult. It doesn't look like you don't really need any special tools, either. It would be nice if there were a FAQ somewhere for new Garand owners, especially for people who are totally new to guns.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:48 PM

Good one broham - I'm in the suburbs, so I can have whatever. I think handguns are illegal in Chicago though (a very effective law), but I think that was deemed unconstitutional but they're dragging their feet to reverse.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryan1203 View Post
Hey everyone - I've been reading the forums for a while now and getting some great information. It's great to benefit from everyone's experience.

So, now for my questions that I'd appreciate some help with:

-As I said, this would be my first M1, also I don't know anyone who owns one now. I've read that when you first get it its good to completely disassemble the rifle when you first get it to clean of cosmoline and properly clean and lube. Being new to this particular rifle, this is very intimidating and I'm afraid I won't be able to put it back together. Is there someone that I could pay to do it for me? Any recommendations? Or should I just do it myself and buy a book that can help me if I get stuck with reassembly?

Thank you for your help with my questions and any advice you may have.

Best,
Dan
Dan,
First let me agree with you on the great info that the knowledgeable members on this forum are willing to share with us.

The Aurora Sportsman's Club http://www.aurorasc.org/ in Waterman, IL. has excellent clinics on Rifle cleaning and maintenance of M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, and AR's (cost $20/ea) for you, or anyone in NW IL. unfortunately they are usually Jan.-Mar. I do not know if they have them more than once a year.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-uN...SW8/edit?pli=1

They also host several Appleseed events throughout the year.
http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

The next one is April 20-21.
http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-...?locationid=42

They are a great bunch of people in both organizations. I do not think anyone would be disappointed attending events from either one.
RichMan
Old 04-02-2013, 03:37 PM

Excellent info, Rich Man .30, thank you. I will check out these links you provided and hopefully be able to attend some of these.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:17 PM

Default Tech Info

Be sure to look on the CMP website under Tech Info. There is detailed information on field stripping and detailed stripping of the M1.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:37 AM

Had another question, if I really wanted USGI stock, should I order a field grade? Do all field grades come with a USGI stock?
Old 04-03-2013, 10:16 AM

Every FG I have ever seen had a USGI stock. Some were in poor shape and some not too bad. I bought a SA FG at the North Store a couple years ago that gauged a ME of 1! The stock really looked as though it had went through a war and was very ugly! I bought the rifle with the intention of eventually replacing the wood. After clean-up and finding she had a very nice DOD cartouche, I fell in love with that wood! Field grades are best hand picked at the stores. That way you won't be disappointed.

Tags
disassembly, garand, newbie, service grade