Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 10:06 AM

Default Newbie Help - First M1

Hey everyone - I've been reading the forums for a while now and getting some great information. It's great to benefit from everyone's experience.

I'll soon be placing an order for my first M1 Garand through the CMP. I'm looking for one that I can shoot, but also one that will hold and/or appreciate in value over time. I'm pretty much set on the Service Grade because it's a great price and I'll have plenty of money left over for ammo. I had hoped to visit the North Store in person to select my own rifle, but obviously the stores aren't stocking service grades at the moment.

So, now for my questions that I'd appreciate some help with:

-Should I be patient and wait for the stores to stock service grades again or should I just order through the mail? I know it will take up to 3 months to get my rifle by mail order, so by then the stores may have them in stock anyway.

-What's the worse that can happen if I get one through mail order? Greek parkerizing and a pumpkin orange birch stock? I can always get a new walnut stock. How bad is it to have a gun with greek parkerizing?

-As I said, this would be my first M1, also I don't know anyone who owns one now. I've read that when you first get it its good to completely disassemble the rifle when you first get it to clean of cosmoline and properly clean and lube. Being new to this particular rifle, this is very intimidating and I'm afraid I won't be able to put it back together. Is there someone that I could pay to do it for me? Any recommendations? Or should I just do it myself and buy a book that can help me if I get stuck with reassembly?

Thank you for your help with my questions and any advice you may have.

Best,
Dan
Old 04-02-2013, 10:45 AM

I got two with "greek park" and there's nothing about either one that I dislike. One has new walnut G.I. profile, the other has CMP birch, slightly oversized. Both are unique in thier own way & I am glad to have them. "It's Also worth the wait" if you want to jump in the mix with the other guy's. You will be a happy customer one way or the other, but I have read lots of posts about the guy's waiting for zero hour, and how it felt to open that shipping box for the first time.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:08 AM

The wait for Service Grades to reappear in the North store may be longer than if you order one through the mail. While you are impatiently waiting for your "new" M-1 you can check out the armorers corner to see how to disassemble and reassemble your prize. Keep in mind that these rifles were designed for a raw recruit from the city back in the 1930's to be able to learn how to maintain his weapon.

Hope you enjoy it.

Last edited by Nucsnipe; 04-02-2013 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 04-02-2013, 11:11 AM

Thanks guys. What kind of tools should I have handy if I chose to take on the disassembly and cleaning myself? Anything out of the ordinary?
Old 04-02-2013, 11:17 AM

I would tend to agree with Nucsnipe. Being that CMP's priority is their backlog of mail orders and are using all the field and service grade M1's to fill those orders; I too would say you have a better chance of getting one sooner by mail order.

If you've got a day to kill and want to visit the store anyway it might be worth it to check out the stock they do have - plus all the other stuff.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryan1203 View Post
Thanks guys. What kind of tools should I have handy if I chose to take on the disassembly and cleaning myself? Anything out of the ordinary?
I don't have my first M1 yet, I'm a few weeks away - but I have pondered the same questions myself.

- I think all of these will appreciate over time. I chose a SG over a SGS because I could afford ammo and things like that. I think eventually the SGS will be worth more but I wanted something I could afford to shoot now.

- I would mail order if I were you. They are still working on orders from 1/22 and 1/23 now. Several months before there will be much of a dent in those back orders and the stores get replenished.

- Greek park, pumpkin orange...meh, I don't care if its Mopar Plum Crazy purple. It's an M1. I wouldn't sweat it.

- there are detailed assembly and disassembly instructions online
Here:
http://www.garandgear.com/
As well as books..
And some YouTube videos also.
I'm not mechanically inclined at all but I feel like I'm prepared for when my rifle does finally arrive.

Re specialty tools - doesn't look like too much necessary except for one to aid in bolt disassembly. The M10 combo tool/cleaning kit has one. There's also a specialized one available aftermarket.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryan1203 View Post
Bunch of threads on this subject. Check 'em out with the search feature. Check the How To and M1 Garand sections.

That said, I've purchased one or two "specialty tools" and found that I don't use them.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:42 AM

Are you in it for shooting or collecting? 'Greek' park won't adversely affect shooting or durability and the average buyer will probably not know the difference (there are several old threads here that show how much trouble even people on the Forum have telling 'greek' park from any other dark-to-black park). If you can, go to the north store (hurry!) and get a Service Grade Special with the best numbers available-$950 and you can't go wrong (shooting or collecting). Call to be sure they still have them. If you are really set on just a Service Grade, wait, go the store and select for good numbers and anything else you care about.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:54 AM

You get the most rifle for the money with a Service Grade. You could get lucky and get nice USGI wood! I feel the SG would appreciate in value faster than other grades, with the exception of maybe the Correct Grade. Just my humble opinion.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:12 PM

Default dissassembly

Private message sent

Tags
disassembly, garand, newbie, service grade