Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairbanks007 View Post
I'm finding FedEx Ship Centers via a Google search, but nothing specifically called an "Express" hub. Per their website, they do hold packages for delivery (Saturday p/u available, too!). Is this the type of location I'm looking for? If not, any suggestions on how to locate one?

Thanks to everyone for their helpful replies. Much appreciated.
"FedEx Ship Centers" are what I was referring to when I mentioned the term "Express hub". When searching for FedEx locations, "ship centers" are FAR fewer in number than are the FedEx Office and other locations, many of which are only affiliated with FedEx but are NOT owned or operated by FedEx.

Also, as used above, "ship centers" are connected with FedEx Express, at least in my area. When it comes to holding firearms shipments for later delivery, "ship centers" are your only real choice - however, this does NOT include FedEx Ground (aka Home Delivery or HD). In my area, the Ground/HD hub is not listed as a place where one can drop off a shipment - they don't have retail counters unlike at the Express "ship centers".

Back when CMP was selling the .30-06 HXP spam cans, one time I missed the home delivery (because I was at work); using the door tag (left on my door), I called FedEx because I wasn't going to be able to wait another day at home just to receive a shipment, and that was when I learned about the Ground/HD hub in my area. As I recall, this had to be arranged on a "non-routine" basis.

In my area (Northern Virginia), the Ground/HD hub is actually closer to me than the Express "ship center", but I had to use a mapping website to locate it since it is in an out-of-the-way location not intended for retail-level customer pickup. It's basically a large warehouse, and I had to go through a couple of gates to get to it. When I was ready to load the shipment (ammo) into my truck, I had to drive through a checkpoint in order to drive up to the door where I could load the ammo into my truck.

One other thing - recommend you download and read the current "FedEx Service Guide", available at https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/fe...Guide_2019.pdf. (I also recommend going back to fedex.com and reviewing the latest version of the service guide, since they can often change their terms and conditions of service.) Once you are there, search for "Firearms". (FedEx includes "firearms" in the broad category of "Dangerous Goods and Hazardous Substances".)

In the current edition of the service guide, specific terms and conditions re: shipment via FedEx Express appear on page 140; for FedEx Ground/HD, those terms and conditions start on page 171.

Note (among things) that FedEx will NOT ship:

- Bump fire stocks and other rapid-fire trigger activators (Express AND Ground/HD)
- Handguns (except via Express - other restrictions may also apply)

Also, "Firearms shipments are not eligible to be held at Hold at Location facilities". (Example: FedEx Office, etc.) Applies to both Express and Ground/HD.

Good luck!
Old 02-25-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garandster View Post
Also, as used above, "ship centers" are connected with FedEx Express, at least in my area. When it comes to holding firearms shipments for later delivery, "ship centers" are your only real choice - however, this does NOT include FedEx Ground (aka Home Delivery or HD). In my area, the Ground/HD hub is not listed as a place where one can drop off a shipment - they don't have retail counters unlike at the Express "ship centers".
15-20 years ago, Fedex, which was an air operation, bought Roadway Package System, which became Fedex Ground. Locally the two are separate parallel systems.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garandster View Post
"FedEx Ship Centers" are what I was referring to when I mentioned the term "Express hub". When searching for FedEx locations, "ship centers" are FAR fewer in number than are the FedEx Office and other locations, many of which are only affiliated with FedEx but are NOT owned or operated by FedEx.

Back when CMP was selling the .30-06 HXP spam cans, one time I missed the home delivery (because I was at work); using the door tag (left on my door), I called FedEx because I wasn't going to be able to wait another day at home just to receive a shipment, and that was when I learned about the Ground/HD hub in my area. As I recall, this had to be arranged on a "non-routine" basis.

In my area (Northern Virginia), the Ground/HD hub is actually closer to me than the Express "ship center", but I had to use a mapping website to locate it since it is in an out-of-the-way location not intended for retail-level customer pickup. It's basically a large warehouse, and I had to go through a couple of gates to get to it. When I was ready to load the shipment (ammo) into my truck, I had to drive through a checkpoint in order to drive up to the door where I could load the ammo into my truck.

One other thing - recommend you download and read the current "FedEx Service Guide", available at https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/fe...Guide_2019.pdf. (I also recommend going back to fedex.com and reviewing the latest version of the service guide, since they can often change their terms and conditions of service.) Once you are there, search for "Firearms". (FedEx includes "firearms" in the broad category of "Dangerous Goods and Hazardous Substances".)

In the current edition of the service guide, specific terms and conditions re: shipment via FedEx Express appear on page 140; for FedEx Ground/HD, those terms and conditions start on page 171.

Note (among things) that FedEx will NOT ship:

- Bump fire stocks and other rapid-fire trigger activators (Express AND Ground/HD)
- Handguns (except via Express - other restrictions may also apply)

Also, "Firearms shipments are not eligible to be held at Hold at Location facilities". (Example: FedEx Office, etc.) Applies to both Express and Ground/HD.

Good luck!
This is super helpful. Thank you.