Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2019, 09:11 PM

Default M1d

Some of you might like to read bout some of the things I found out about the M1D GI mounts and the M1D reproduction mounts.

The Barrel block:
G.I.
I can only go by drawing specs on USGI parts since I do not have one. The specs look very well thought out to my eyes. Nothing to hard and nothing to soft for a long usable life.

Reproduction:
I have five that I have looked at and worked with.
1. Heat treatment is all over the place but they should be usable.
2. The holes look like some of them are tapped with a taper tap and let go.
The bottom of the holes I looked at was not a full size thread. This caused
me to buy a 5/16"-32 tpi tap 4-flutes (I broke a three flute tap in the first
hole) and re-tap all five holes in the blocks I had and all needed to be
re-tapped.

Scope mount
GI
Again I have no examples to look at. The screw and locking wheel are attached together by a reverse serrated hole in wheel and a tapered end of the screw. They are locked in by swedging the two pieces and forcing the end of the screw to fill the serrations in the wheel. They should be together till hell freezes.

Reproduction:
1. The screws that hold the two pieces together are different. Repo screws are .055" longer in the thread portion of the screw which forces it deeper into the block hole that I re-tapped. The wheel and screw are held together by a straight threaded end of the screw and then peened. It looked to be #10-32 or there about. It (the wheel) is easily backed off the screw end just by holding the other end and unscrewing the wheel. Replace by just reversing the process and re-peen the end.

I ended up using a dremel tool and removing the excess .055" from the 5/16"-32 end. I also made the best effort I could to re-bevel the screw end that starts into the block. The .055" does not seem like much but it made a world of difference on the five I had.
They now work like they should simple and easy. I doubt if they are as rugged as a USGI in the end.

Just thought some of you would like to know how to correct some problems with the reproduction M1D mount and base.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:43 AM

Many, no most, of the bad variations of the mounts have the wheel badly and cheaply welded to the screw by what looks like it was done by 10 year old Chinese welders in a Chinese sweatshop. Many, while attempting to tighten them enough (usually with little success) break rendering the mount useless.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
All original, "correct" M1D barrels came from SA with the block installed. .
Apparently, some slipped out without the block installed. I have one that came NIW from the Black Monday sale.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:57 PM

When an M1D barrel is shot out, is the barrel block recovered?
Old 02-26-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky52 View Post
I’d be surprised if M1D barrels are being “shot out” with any frequency...
Old 02-28-2019, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky52 View Post
No. You won't find any new OR used anywhere unless someone recently took the trouble to remove one.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:41 AM

While building up M1D using a Citadel barreled assembly, I never ran into a problem with the scope block...It is 1st class scope block....The latest generation scope mount is way better than before....The mounting pads are 1/3 larger, and the wheel does not have that blob of material over the tightening wheel...the pin is the correct length....The only negative is the mounting pads are out of square....10 minutes with the correct size stone will get you to 75% true....If you check out Numrich closeout section you will see the latest picture they claim to sell for the latest gen D mount....The have a small sale on the M1D bits, and the M1C mount is on sale for $120....Wish the manufacture of the Citadel D scope block was known...regards....alex