Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2019, 05:28 PM

Default New guy from Indiana finally gets M1 after 20 years!

Howdy folks, just joined and looking forward to reading, learning, and talking about some great guns on here. My M1 story goes back about 20 years. I'm a kid in junior high drooling over the M1s in the Dunham's ads that came in the Sunday paper. I think they were selling for $400 then, but it may as well have been a million dollars because I didn't have $400 and wasn't old enough to work. Years pass and nothing happens.

When I'm finally old enough to buy a rifle I learned about CMP, and find their website with all different kinds of M1s available. But, I'm more interested in guitars and going to concerts, so I never save up the money to buy one. Eventually, supplies dwindle and everything on CMP shows as sold out. I assume my opportunity is gone and I'll never be able to own one.

Sometime last year I revisit CMP and learned that there's been an influx of guns from the Philippines. With renewed motivation, I begin to save my pennies and start seeking out reloading components on local gun forums. I start stockpiling brass, bullets, powders, and primers as well as buying a reloading press and dies.

January 3rd 2019 rolls around and I decide I'm going to North store and I'm going to pick out a rifle. The below service grade Springfield ends up coming home with me. Very low throat and muzzle erosion, old wooden stocks ... exactly what I wanted. I am very happy. I only wish I had a couple more.

https://i.ibb.co/6mmP3Ct/20190103-110151.jpg

First time I got it apart

Beautiful wood grain when the light catches it.

First range trip

Only complaint.......trigger assembly was impossible to get back together on my own. Had to have the Mrs. help me tap the pin back in.

Last edited by Led4thehed2; 05-21-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:49 PM

Beautiful rifle!!! Wonderful that your wife is so helpful. CMP was good to you! Sincerely. bruce.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:05 PM

Congrats and welcome. Great place to be and a wealth of knowledge available just for the asking. M1's and other delectibles from the CMP are like potato chips, can't just have one! Shoot and Enjoy often.....
Old 05-07-2019, 06:45 AM

Fellow Hoosier,
Welcome to the addiction! Looks like a very nice rifle!
Old 05-07-2019, 07:46 AM

Welcome and congratulations on your first M1. I hope it gives you years of pleasure. Eddie
Old 05-21-2019, 06:44 PM

You certainly got a nice one for your first M1. I also ended up "waiting" for many years before I was able to get my first M1 rifle. It's been all downhill after that....
Old 05-22-2019, 04:35 AM

Wow. That stock appears to have one heck of a tiger stripe hiding under the gunk.