Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2019, 07:10 PM

Default Full Automatic M1A1 carbine

This issue NRA June 19 , Page 44, WW2 1st Sgt. Barney Hopkins of D Co. 507th Parachute Inf. remembered:M1A1 modified to full automatic, trigger mechanism converted to make full auto, converted in machine shop in Nottingham England, around 1943 1944, never heard of this, can any give some more input on this
Old 05-22-2019, 06:41 AM

A file, a pair of pliers and British ingenuity. I think you can convert about any semi-auto, but it may develop a mind of it’s on.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:13 AM

Forrest Guth of Easy company 506 PIR reportedly converted M1 rifles to full auto. Author Steven Ambrose ask him how he did it but he conveniently forgot how.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:40 AM

It may be a Conway conversion. I would need to see a picture
If you have the War Baby series it is in one of them with I believe a similar story.
I wonder if the M1a1 was shot from the shoulder and if so how long before the stock cracked?
Old 05-22-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epm729 View Post
Forrest Guth of Easy company 506 PIR reportedly converted M1 rifles to full auto. Author Steven Ambrose ask him how he did it but he conveniently forgot how.
Seems that the easiest way would be to remove the sear from the back of the trigger. With that removed, the hammer would follow the bolt as long as the trigger was held back. Not advocating someone try this, as you risk firing from an open bolt especially if the firing pin block in the receiver bridge is compromised.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
The passage you refer to is in Band of Brothers. Nowhere in that passage does the word 'rifles' appear. Is there another source you relied on, or is it only your inference?
Old 05-22-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
Seems that the easiest way would be to remove the sear from the back of the trigger. With that removed, the hammer would follow the bolt as long as the trigger was held back. Not advocating someone try this, as you risk firing from an open bolt especially if the firing pin block in the receiver bridge is compromised.
What holds the trigger back to initially fire?
How do you stop firing?

The receiver bridge may absorb all the firing pin energy
Old 05-25-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Brass View Post
It may be a Conway conversion. I would need to see a picture
If you have the War Baby series it is in one of them with I believe a similar story.
I wonder if the M1a1 was shot from the shoulder and if so how long before the stock cracked?
Well, I converted my M1A1 when I papered it in 1967............I would truly be at a loss to even GUESS how many rounds it's had thru it since, and it's stock is as intact as when I acquired it..................conversion was via all GI parts.

Only issue with shoulder firing a selective fire carbine is muzzle rise.........short bursts and you are good to go......trying to run it dry is another issue!

I'll ad that the most interesting carbine full auto conversion I ever saw was on a flyer relative to the 'Symbionese Liberation Army" (remember: Patty Hurst in the 60's) that the FBI posted to all PD's............really some innovative work on the makers part as that conversion used all M/1 parts with the addition of a hole drilled into the trigger housing to accomodate a tripping mechanism........things were kinda distinctive....bbl shortened and front sight mounted backwards...........google a photo of Patty back then.....believe she's holding one!

Last edited by dogrunner; 05-25-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstflabn View Post
The passage you refer to is in Band of Brothers. Nowhere in that passage does the word 'rifles' appear. Is there another source you relied on, or is it only your inference?
I just re-read the passage and stand corrected. Thanks, Eddie
Old 05-25-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I just re-read the passage and stand corrected. Thanks, Eddie
Clarifications always have a place. Like you, I used my Mk1 eyeball to confirm my recollection before my earlier reply.

In another rare lucid moment, I recalled Marty Black (longtime CCNL editor) told me he spoke with Guth on the phone in 1993 after reading the Ambrose book. Marty said Guth told him that Ambrose got it wrong (or ambiguous anyway) - that he was referring to the carbine in that passage.

For the OP, CCNL 382 describes another 507th trooper having a full auto carbine mod done in UK before Normandy. And Buck Compton, E/506, said his lost leg bag contained a full auto carbine.