Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2020, 09:37 AM

Default Remington 1903 Question

Was checking out a Remington 03 yesterday, barrel date 6-42, and found it to have a few stamped parts on it. Was wondering how common this is and if this could happen when the rifle goes in for arsenal rebuild.
Was interested in it but with the stamped parts and some parts that didn't look right, for a Remington, on the bolt I passed.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:10 AM

Default Stamped parts

These are transitional rifles between the 1903 and 1903a3.
I have a friend whose uncle brought one home from WW2, it has never been rebuilt and has stamped bands and rear swivel mount.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:17 AM

This rifle had a stamped Remington trigger guard also, that's the main thing that caught my eye
Old 01-19-2020, 10:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger44 View Post
This rifle had a stamped Remington trigger guard also, that's the main thing that caught my eye
So it was a 1903A3 trigger guard? Large bow or small...if you remember?
Old 01-19-2020, 10:25 AM

Default Stamped parts

I can see this occurring at Remington as milled parts ran out, the stamped parts would be used. With no rebuild marks on the stock it would likely be factory.
Hard to tell now, the military believes parts are parts.

Last edited by jcj54; 01-19-2020 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:39 AM

6-42 is about when Remington began phasing in stamped parts. Most rifles with that barrel date have milled parts, but a few exhibit a few stamped parts. If the rifle is fitted with stamped parts, then those should be early stamped parts, not late stamped parts.

A common misconception is that stamped parts were approved for the M'03-A3, and this is simply not true. Remington was hard pressed by Army Ordnance to maximize wartime rifle production and they did so by going to stamped parts on their M1903's as quickly as possible.

J.B.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
So it was a 1903A3 trigger guard? Large bow or small...if you remember?
Wish I could tell you if it was large or small just don't remember. Do remember that the windage and elevation knobs were the flat type, no markings, and the sight base had no lightening grooves. Bolt was Remington but the bolt sleeve was a type 4, like you would see on a Smith Corona, figured that was a replacement.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
6-42 is about when Remington began phasing in stamped parts. Most rifles with that barrel date have milled parts, but a few exhibit a few stamped parts. If the rifle is fitted with stamped parts, then those should be early stamped parts, not late stamped parts.

A common misconception is that stamped parts were approved for the M'03-A3, and this is simply not true. Remington was hard pressed by Army Ordnance to maximize wartime rifle production and they did so by going to stamped parts on their M1903's as quickly as possible.

J.B.
John thanks. I remember reading posts, from you and others, about stamped parts being used as soon as possible in 03 production just didn't think they used the stamped trigger guard so soon.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:55 AM

One feature that I have noticed in a Remington 1903 "transition" rifle that I have is two slight "grooves" or cuts on the receiver itself in the area just above and in front of the bolt handle.

This is in the area where one would find the rear sight on an 03A3. It appears that the receiver was made in the same way as an 03A3, but the rear sight dovetail was milled down to be the same contour as the earlier 1903 models. There was not enough initial metal on the new receiver for it to look exactly like the 1903, and these two apparent cuts or grooves were the result.

I believe that they also eliminated the milling cuts for the bolt stop at some point as well.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:35 AM

I've noticed that these "grooves" started about s/n 3,290,000 and continued until the end of production. I have seen a few early 3,290,000 range receivers that don't have this, though.