Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2011, 06:20 PM

Default Collector's grade question

I recently bought my first M1 Garand... a CMP service grade rifle.

Simply stated, my jaw hit the floor when I saw how high quality my rifle is. I almost question if somehow it was mismarked and I was sent a higher grade rifle. The stock has some minor nicks but all the metal components and bore are pristine. If all service grades are this good... WOW... I don't need any better.

I love my rifle and will soon buy a second from CMP. My wife is going to turn loose of the "iron hand" that controls the checking account if I successfully close a new account, and it looks like I'm going to gain that new client.

It's a simple reward system she has...

New client = more $$$ = wife = $$$ to get a new toy as a reward = me

I had debated long and hard on whether or not to get service grade or collector grade the first time around, and I went with service grade. (Which turned out to be a great move because not only was I very happy with the quality of the rifle, but my wife then took the difference in the $$$ price and used it to surprise me with my first 1911... a Rock Island Tactical. And from the first day on the range it was pure exhiliration. I've never found a combo I like better than my M1 Garand and my 1911.)

But now that I've learned M1s are like potato chips... you can't have just one... I'm back to my original connundrum... do I get another service grade or do I get a collectors grade.

From the experience of the people here who have gotten both service and collector grade rifles... do you see enough difference in the rifle to pay $1,100 over $595.

This rifle won't be a safe queen. It will get its days at the range. If that will drop its condition to service grade - going service grade from the begining will be the best option. (I will probably mainly shoot my service grade rifle, but the second M1 will get at least a couple hundred rounds through it. Long term, my firearms will go to my son-in-law and my nieces and nephews. So this will likely be one of the treasures of the collection even if it is service grade.)

All oppions and insights would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:27 PM

Ahhhhh, the wonders of "Garanditis". There is no cure, but buying another M1 does help to ease the symptons!!
Old 08-05-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlReiter View Post
Ahhhhh, the wonders of "Garanditis". There is no cure, but buying another M1 does help to ease the symptons!!
Just out of WHO-IS-THE-BIGGEST-GARAND-NUT curiousity... how many is the most M1 Garands anyone here currently owns?

My mom is one of those crazy 'cat ladies' who owns 10 cats. Has anyone here got a truly insane collection? I've heard you can buy up to 12 a year from CMP. I'm definitely going to have 3-4 eventually if I can swing it. But does anybody here hold the record for being the "Crazy M1" guy?
Old 08-05-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaGeorge View Post
Just out of WHO-IS-THE-BIGGEST-GARAND-NUT curiousity... how many is the most M1 Garands anyone here currently owns?

... But does anybody here hold the record for being the "Crazy M1" guy?
There are several on the forum who could be the "Crazy M1 Guy". Some of the pictures of collections that have been posted in the past simply made my jaw drop!!
Old 08-05-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlReiter View Post
There are several on the forum who could be the "Crazy M1 Guy". Some of the pictures of collections that have been posted in the past simply made my jaw drop!!

The obsessive/compulsiveness of a collector can reach very high levels.

There are those with 100's of rifles, and multiple safes full of M1's...
All in silicone socks, not to see the light of day until the day they die.

I, myself have fallen into the trap of wanting to buy a rifle...my cure has been to just open the safe and look at the few I already have knowing there always more rifles in the world, but not a lot nicer then mine.

I'm waiting for the Gun Collector to show up on the HOARDERS show on cable.

Last edited by Roadkingtrax; 08-05-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:12 PM

SofaGeorge, Unless you know something I'm not aware of, CMP had not had any "Collectors" grade for a very long time. I believe you are refering to "Correct" grade for $1.1K RM1SACR or RM1HRACR.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:28 PM

Careful. The next SG could be just that and you'll be dissappointed.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-nra View Post
SofaGeorge, Unless you know something I'm not aware of, CMP had not had any "Collectors" grade for a very long time. I believe you are refering to "Correct" grade for $1.1K RM1SACR or RM1HRACR.
You didn't get the email from CMP?

"Hi SofaGeorge, Please keep this confidential. We only send this offer to customers our sales staff really really like. We have a large amount of extraordinary quality rifles that are so much better than anything we sell to the customers we don't like that we call them our 'collector grade special.' These rifles are new in the box unfired weapons with 100% original parts and stocks so flawless and sparkly you can see yourself in the shine. Best of all, we over bill the customers we don't like so that we can offer you these extra special guns at the same price we sell those bubble heads correct grade rifles for. But please, don't let the bad customers know about this special deal. it's only for great customers like you. Also, because our customer service reps like you so well, with your recent purchase of your service grade rifle we are sending you free a new unissued bayonet, 10 crates of 192 rounds of M2 30-06 ammo in En Bloc clips and bandoliers, and an unissued original cleaning kit hand autographed by John Wayne prior to his death."

I mean honestly, I thought this was just a marketing gimmick they sent to everybody. Didn't you at least get the free ammo? Mine arrived yesterday.

Last edited by SofaGeorge; 08-05-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:38 PM

I'm happy having two WWII Garands (SA and WRA) and three post war Garands (SA, IHC, HRA). I still kick myself for trading off my pre-war SA Garand that was all-correct but didn't have a cartouche on the stock.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:58 AM

A friend of mine has 200 and something Garands.

Me? A paltry 4...

My 5.5 mill Korean era Springfield (that is my main "shooter")
My 1.4 mill Springfield (that is mostly correct)
My 5.6 mill H&R Correct Grade
My 1.2 mill Winchester Service Grade (handpicked by Magna, that is about 90% correct)

I'm casually looking for the right IHC, but they always seem to turn up when I've just bought something else and my "fun money" is low...

Jamie